Waterproof liner for sabre 45

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Scuba Pete

Forager
Nov 3, 2005
Glasgow
Can anyone recommend a water proof bag for a sabre 45? Also something what will fit into the side pockets as well.

I missed the group buy :(

Thanks

Pete

beachlover

Aug 28, 2004
Isle of Wight
I have a feeling that tracpac (??) do some. I have the largest one that I used in a Sabre 45 main sack. You are welcome to that one for the postage if you drop me a PM, as it's doing nothing in the bottom of a wardrobe at the moment.

http://www.tracpac.co.uk/

Failing that, a decent rubble bag doesn't do a bad job ;)

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
It depends how waterproof you want it to be! :D

I have a MSR Seal Line Seebag, 40l, which is very robust, and very good at keeping kit dry, but it is heavy as hell. I think I would rather have a coated fabric bag, over the clear vinyl, I dont see that being see-through is an advantage to me, and it might be tougher/lighter to use fabric backing. Anyway, I have used it when open canoeing, kit sits in a big puddle in the boat bottom. I also have a 13l Ortileb bag that will fit in a side pocket, that too is a bit on the heavy side, but keeps things very dry.

I have friends that really like the Exped bags, very light weight, but I am not sure I would trust one to keep kit dry if it was sitting in water all day, they feel more like insurance for kit in a hiking pack.

I have actually used heavy gauge plastic bags with some success. Both inside and outside (strapped) to packs. The two problems are ensuring you don't poke a hole in them, and doing a really REALLY good job of rolling the top down. I know they won't keep things as dry as a real roll-top bag, so only use them as insurance, or for stuff that isn't so critical.

http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/Stuff Sacks/Dry Bags/
isn't much, but is all I can find quickly :(

Scuba Pete

Forager
Nov 3, 2005
Glasgow
I have one of there small bags, there good, and light. I am not playing to be swimming, hehe its mainly against rain. as we get alot in scotland.

Pete

fred gordon

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 8, 2006
Aberdeenshire
I use an empty thick plactic bag that the food for my chickens comes in. Completely waterproof and a form of recycling. They fit my sabre 45 perfectly. I've also heard of people using empty fertilizer bags.

gregorach

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 15, 2005
Edinburgh
Exped 45L Pack Liner for the pack, Exped 13L Fold drybags for the side pockets. Mind, you I haven't subjected them to a proper test yet... ;) All I can say for certain is that they seem to be pretty convincingly airtight. Not as robust as Ortleib bags, but much lighter.

Scuba Pete

Forager
Nov 3, 2005
Glasgow
Thanks for the info. I will have a look around.

Bin bags just dont work, heh. I know I could get rubble sacks, but its nice if you can seal the bag over and over.

I have a small exped bag, they are very light and I like the way they close.

Pete

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE