Waterproof First Aid Kit

BOD

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sorry for posting this but the search engine rejects "first" "aid" and "kit" as too common or short.

What do you keep your FAK in to keep it dry?

This is an issue for me because all parts of my kit must tolerate full immersion or be 100% waterproof and be light and easily packable. It would not have to be rated to more than a couple of metres of water though

I've used double ziplock bags, mapcases but all seem to have drawbacks especially with access.

Hoping someone has cracked the problem and will share and show their solution.

SimonM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 7, 2007
East Lancashire
www.wood-sage.co.uk
Some manufacturers make water proof FAK's for canoe trips etc..

Waterproof-First-Aid-M1.jpg

Taking this to the next level, why not put your normal FAK in a roll top dry bag?

Simon

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I just keep mine in a canoeing drybag, or inside the drybag liner of my Bergan/daysack.
You can get drybags in all sorts of sizes, shapes and weights/toughness these days.
Ooops crossed postings!
Same idea though!

Chainsaw

Native
Jul 23, 2007
Central Scotland
+1 for drybag, almost all of my outdoorsy stuff is in the canoe so it needs to be in dry bag. Alpkit and exped seem to have good reps, not got any exped but the alpkit stuff is good value and definitely is waterproof!!

cheers,

Alan

Jaysurfer

Settler
Dec 18, 2008
Somerset, UK
I take my rucksack...
I then segment everything in my rucksack into dry bags.
Clothes will be in one.
Sleeping bag in another.
First aid kit/ hot drink satchats/ fire lighting eqipment in another as a quick emergency grab bag.
Stove in onother.
Wash kit / any chemicals in another.

This keeps my rucksack organised and everything protected. Also makes it hard to loose things if it is all organised.

calibanzwei

Settler
Jan 7, 2009
Warrington, UK
Been umming and ahhing about the Xped's on Lakeland and the Airlok XTra's on Alpkit.......
decisions, decisions!
Aiming to have a similar setup to Jays - everything is currently in Asda/Tesco thick plastic 'for-life' bags :D

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
What do you keep your FAK in to keep it dry?

I have a small (always with me kit) that I keep in a small tobacco tin, a larger kit is kept in the top pocket of my rucksack.

In both cases the waterproofing is provided by wrapping the kits in multiple layers of freezer bags. To date this has kept both kits dry even after days of constant rain and immersion in the odd river.

The advantages of simply using freezer bags are, they are cheap, save on weight and can be torn open easily if I'm not in a position to unwrap them (fingers hanging off etc.).

:)

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE