Waterproof "bag" material

moab

Forager
Apr 26, 2007
UK
I'm thinking of making my own general purpose bushcraft bag and was wondering if anyone had any experience or recommendations over the type of material (as opposed to leather) that is or can be waterproofed?

Limaed

Apr 11, 2006
Perth
Moab
Caver's/climber's hauling sacks are made of a very tough waterproof material, im not sure who makes it but the sacks can be bought from Lyon Equipment www.lyon.co.uk .Perhaps you could give them a ring?
About fifteen years ago I made a Gore-tex type jacket, all in all it only cost about £20 to make. The company I got the fabric from was either Point North or Pennine Outdoor?
www.pennineoutdoor.co.uk / www.profabrics.co.uk
Hope this helps Ed.

mr dazzler

Native
Aug 28, 2004
uk
It depends how fussy you are or wether you want to be hi tech/extreme light weight or whatever. Lorry tarp (the sort they use on curtain sider's) is very very tough I expect similar to what Ed's hauling sack's are made of. Scrounge some from a haulage company they ofetn have bits lying about, you can heat weld it together or stitch it and seal it, I am sure you couldmake up a simple sort of bag/haver sack type scenario. When I was in the scouts we made bivvy bag's and tarp's from thick polyhene scrounged from the carpet shop (we werent into gore tex in 1973 :D ), we welded them up with a domestic iron, with newspaper over the joins so it wouldnt stick to the iron (crude form of heat sealing machine they use in food factroies etc)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE