Waterborne Viruses ?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
L

Lost_Patrol

Thanks all, I appreciate the help :You_Rock_

I'm going to filter and then boil. Better safe than sorry :)

Doc

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 29, 2003
Perthshire
Aqua Mira, is a chlorine dioxide based disinfectant, so the manufacturers claim of it being chlorine free is stretching it a bit. It has been used for public water supplies and it does have the advantage of better activity against cryptosporidium and giardia compared to chlorine.
The downside is that it creates chlorite as a disinfection by product, and this has been associated with toxicity. I have read that 'Pristine' (a ClO2 based disinfectant like Aqua Mira can expose you to chlorite above the recommended levels:

http://www.backpackgeartest.org/rev...ater Purification/Dr. Ryan Jordan/Field Test/

Of course, chlorine and iodine can also result in different disinfection by products, although the World Health Organisation view is that the risk is very low compared to the risks of untreated water.

CDC Atlanta reckon that a minutes boiling (at sea level) is sufficient.

Hawthorn

Tenderfoot
Aug 6, 2005
London
I'm glad to hear that Leon-1 said water should be rolling boiled for 10 minutes. I filter all my drinking water through a Millbank Bag and then rolling boil it for 10 minutes. The way I see it, you might as well eradicate even the smallest chance of getting ill from water. You want to enjoy a camping trip, not endure it.

Fred

Apr 29, 2006
Glasgow, Scotland
The Sawyer Squeeze filter filters 99.9999% of waterborne bacteria and 99.9997% of all protozoa (like Giardia & Cryptosporidium), so it''s perfect for UK conditions, as we only have very rare waterborne viruses - we got immune through vacines ike polio. It weighs 85g and screws onto Platypus or coke bottles for instant pouring. I've just got one and it's pretty amazing to see potable water pouring out the end as you squeeze! just available in the UK online for 60 squid. Not bad for a million gallons eh?! If it gets clogged it's a doddle to clear it with the syringe, but I use Millbank sock or clear stream water.
BTW just a rolling boil (at any altitude!) is sufficient to sterilise if you only have a pot. But you have to filter it first, even if it's just a t-shirt. If you don't believe me, try http://www.survivaltopics.com/survival/how-long-do-you-need-to-boil-water

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
Drink safe systems has a filter product that sorts out significant percentage of virus's too. A 70g inline filter with a bladder is what I have. Costs less than £40 and ahs the usual certs from tropical medicne centre (or whatever it's called, the one that is highly regarded round the world). I suspect it does have iodine in it but the activated carbon final filter stage and the way the iodine is fixed into the filter supposedly makes it safe for thyroid condition sufferers. I think it says that on their site or the guy has posted that on another forum once. If they can't back it up they would probably get caught out making such statements. They also do kits with millbank type pre-filters and accessories to turn it into a gravity feed filtration for larger amounts of water filtration.

Fred - do you have many sawyer filters in stock at the moment? How do they rate against the drink-safe products?? That is if you are the Outdoor Warehouse's Fred that is. Kind of making a big assumption here but the OW's Fred is keen on outdoors and bushcraft I believe and have written on it on the site I think. Used to be a regular visitor to the shop when it was open after I found out it stocked a lot of light stuff and goilite and marmot and others. Shame it's not open anymore. Used to be a shop I dropped in as I passed in case there were any good deals. Got a bit too much business out of me that way over the years!!

BTW have you considered the steripen options?? They work on UV light disrupting the rna of bacteria and virus' to prevent them multiplying IIRC. That means they work on anything if you pre-filter (they do a prefilter that screws onto a nalgene wide mouthed bottle (provided in some kits) that does this to some extent) then it should be enough without affecting thryoid sufferers I reckon. Take a look into it. I got one but the glass lamp part is potentially a weak point but it wasn't with mine. I just gave up on it for a drinksafe inline filter for the reason that worked better for me.

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE