water stone flatening

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Teepee

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
Those little diamond stones are quite good, pricey though at that. I paid 99p. I'm sure I've seen them in £ shops aswell.

The bigger 'card' stones of that type are nearly useless out of the packet as they warp. They need seperating and mounting onto another board with glue.

Unless its a tiny waterstone, something bigger will be much better. I'd get one of the Aldi or Lidl 4 sided blocks for £7.99-very good for the money.

Paulm

May 27, 2008
Hants
Use some drywall mesh on a flat surface, get them in packs of a few in B&Q etc for a couple of quid, work great and without clogging so much.

Cheers, Paul

slingback

Jan 10, 2013
Highlands
I use three whetstones, I rub the faces together, works a treat, 800 against 1200 against 6000 everytime I use them.

Dave Budd

Gold Trader
Staff member
Jan 8, 2006
Dartmoor (Devon)
www.davebudd.com
i use waterstones a lot (I also use them for teaching, so they get some abuse). I use a paving slab with some sand or better still sandblasting grit. Its fast, cheap and effective, especially if the stone is dinged or quite hollow. Then I rub two stones of similar grits together to remove the coarse groves and any sand particles ;)

Jomo

Tenderfoot
Aug 30, 2012
banbury
i use waterstones a lot (I also use them for teaching, so they get some abuse). I use a paving slab with some sand or better still sandblasting grit. Its fast, cheap and effective, especially if the stone is dinged or quite hollow. Then I rub two stones of similar grits together to remove the coarse groves and any sand particles ;)

I'm with you on this one Dave, I use the concrete slabbed steps outside of my door works a treat and costs me nothing

alex.c

Tenderfoot
Aug 20, 2011
England
Thanks for all the help guys it looks like i have a few things to try. I just have a couple of questions. how useful is a nugura stone ? and if i bought a diamond stone for flattening would it also act as a sort nagura stone when sharpening creating a slurry ? Also if i got a diamond stone once using it on water stones can i then use it for general sharpening ?
Thanks again.
Alex

Dave Budd

Gold Trader
Staff member
Jan 8, 2006
Dartmoor (Devon)
www.davebudd.com
the naggy stone is most useful for deglazing a fine stone and adding some extra polishing slurry to it when sharpening. It's not essential, but can be nice to have (though depending on the steel that your balde is made of, you may or may not prefer to use it). I personally wouldn't use the diamond flattener anyway, but you could use it to deglaze and add slurry; I would be wary of stray diamond working loose into the slurry and also the nagura stones are much softer than the stone (thus the slurry is softer and finer than a diamond stone would create).

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE