Water repellent for basha

Angus Og

Nov 6, 2004
Glasgow
Does anyone know of a good water repellent so I can give the basha a coating before this weather gets any worse?

bambodoggy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 10, 2004
Surrey
www.stumpandgrind.co.uk
Angus Og said:
Does anyone know of a good water repellent so I can give the basha a coating before this weather gets any worse?

Any of the Nicwax products meant for waterproofing nylon would do...

But why do you need to totally water proof it? It'll be more or less water proof and if it's pitched properly (right angle etc) and pulled tight then you won't need to proof it... I've never proofed any of mine all the years i've been using them and never had a problem, even in the days before I used a bivvi bag with it.

I had one set up on Sunday in the pooring rain flat horizontal just above head height and spent the day under it chopping wood for the winter for my woodburner with a mate and it kept us dry...although we did have to empty it every half hour as it filled up with water! lol :lmao:

I'd just leave it as it is and see how you get on Mate...but failing that as I say go for Nicwax or something similar :)

Hope that helps,

Bam. :D

M

Millbilly

Unless you're using it for river crossings, id go with Bams advice, and just make sure its always correctly pitched mate. Ive been using a really cheap nasty one for over a year now, and had no probs. :)

Angus Og

Nov 6, 2004
Glasgow
Thanks for the reply guys.
I’m not trying to make it waterproof just more water resistant ;) to help the water shed a bit faster which should help with drying it out before backing it away.

Think I’ll try some of the Nikwax products.

cronos

Tenderfoot
Nov 6, 2005
Norfolk
The expressed juices from the stinging nettle can be used to add a water resistant layer. This same juice in the past was rubbed into the small seams of leaky wooden tubs, which then coagulated and made the tub watertight again.

Although I have not tried it, I have been reliably informed that during the Second World War, French peasants, painted this juice onto old jacket made of Hessian, to produce what would now be looked as a cheap barber jacket.

Cronos

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE