Water purification on the move.

buckley

Nomad
Nov 8, 2006
United Kingdom
Hi guys,

what would you recomend for a light weight water purification solution in the field. I was thinking of a millbank bag, any other suggestions?

bambodoggy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 10, 2004
Surrey
www.stumpandgrind.co.uk
Depends how long you're out for and also what you're doing and remember even with a milbank you still need to sterilise the water after you've filtered it and they aren't all that fast if you're in a hurry.

I tend to use puritabs on short trips and boil on longer ones although I've just got a mini premac thingy that I'm looking forward to playing with. Oh and on very short trips (up to a day or maybe two) I just hump in the water I need...certainly helps to focus the mind of proper use of water and water saving methods :)

Hope that helps,

Bam. :D

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
Your title says on the move, does that mean you don't want to stop and boil the water? If so, you are going to have to look at a chemical treatment after filtration. Iodine or puritabs will do the job, but be aware that if you are pregnant or have a thyroid problem, iodine should be avoided. They will both flavour the water too, and not in a nice way!

Boiling is the best way, I have boiled water and never used puritabs or iodine personally, although I have had a sip of puritabbed water, never again! If you don't mind drinking swimming pool water you'll be just fine!

Also, when you collect water for drinking, apart from checking for dead animals upstream and folk weeing in the stream, try and collect the water from where it flows over a stone or similar. When the water is churned up and frothy white, the sediment is dropped out and this is where you will get the cleanest water, so less work for your filtration system. I have drank water from a stream in UK untreated like this, but if you are not sure, boil it!

gregorach

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 15, 2005
Edinburgh
The premac pocket filter is a good option if you're looking for a lightweight purification system that you can easily slip in your pocket, provided you don't mind 5 minutes pumping for a litre of water and the iodine taste. Iodine tabs are also a good lightweight option, but you've got a longer contact time to think about. The iodine taste can be neutralised fairly effectively by soluble vitamin C, but it's never going to taste like fresh spring water.

I'll drink untreated water happily in remote Highland locations, provide it comes from a fast-flowing stream and there are no sheep in the area. If I'm not certain of it, I prefer to boil when in camp and use the premac on the move, unless I want a cup of tea.

Actually, if you mix iodine treated water about 50/50 with water that's been boiled over a smokey fire, it kinda tastes a bit like an Islay malt... ;)

Nikolai

Tenderfoot
You could carry a burning stove with water on top :D

Nah, i seriously think you should take time to boil it. I have never been on a long camp/hike, 4 days is my max so far, so i just carry the water, i don't really drink alot anyway. I have had to boil it in the Army Cadet Force, thats the only time though.

walker

Oct 27, 2006
devon
i use the millbank bag all the time
find it very usefull to clear water with plant matter and other bits in it i always if possable boil the water other than that use puri tabs after the bag
it inly takes about just under 5 minutes sometimes less to use and gives you a chance for a sit down and take a look around you
i never use fancy expencive filters as i just dont see the point ( am sure they have there worth in the amazon )
millbank bag lasts for years easy to use and never needs replacing unless you happen to lose it
remember boiling (if you have the time) kills everything other methods have there pros and cons but boiling has all pros
:cool:

Mikey P

Nov 22, 2003
Glasgow, Scotland
Buckley8219 said:
Hi guys,

what would you recomend for a light weight water purification solution in the field. I was thinking of a millbank bag, any other suggestions?

OK, they're a bit more high-tech but these are outstanding. Not for everyone but worth a look if you want to spend the money (eek! :eek: ).

http://www.msrcorp.com/filters/miox.asp

As an climber/alpinist/serviceman, I have found them very useful. Not sure what place they have in bushcraft, though...

leon-1

Millbank or Katadyn Mini, the katadyn is very good and as a personal opinion is more cost effective than any other mechanical filter that I am aware of.

The next in line would probably be one of the MSR's.

Edit;

The Millbank is by far the cheapest solution overall, boiling water afterwards on a rolling boil.

Voivode

Forager
Oct 24, 2006
Red Deer, Alberta, Canada
Mikey P said:
OK, they're a bit more high-tech but these are outstanding. Not for everyone but worth a look if you want to spend the money (eek! :eek: ).

http://www.msrcorp.com/filters/miox.asp

As an climber/alpinist/serviceman, I have found them very useful. Not sure what place they have in bushcraft, though...

I also have one of these units. I'm of mixed mind in recommending it; It has a place but I don't know that the place is in a bushcraft context. They are awesome units for clearing the water of anything living, but not so good if you need to clarify your water. The units can be finicky to operate; this is a known problem and well documented on the internet. I returned my first gen unit because it stopped operating after about 100 L of water. The second gen unit is still going strong. It takes 123A batteries; not cheap. It takes about 30 minutes to be sure of clean water.

On the up side, they treat vast quantities with relative ease, and treat it well. On group trips (6 people or so), we make up 10-12 L at a time for washing, drinking and refilling the water bladders for the next day while boiling the cooking water for supper.

On the whole, if I was going it alone or in a small group (2-3 people), I would just boil the water and call it good. My conditions may vary from yours, however. :)

Mikey P

Nov 22, 2003
Glasgow, Scotland
Voivode said:
On the whole, if I was going it alone or in a small group (2-3 people), I would just boil the water and call it good. My conditions may vary from yours, however. :)

Hmm...I will watch out for failure of my unit then.

The reason I 'recommended' it in the first place was for more mobile users - you can add the solution quickly and then just leave it! Takes no fuel, no fires, etc, and works away at your water whilst you are on the move.

Yet again, it's horses for courses - whatever is the best method for your situation.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE