Water filters - advice needed

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Feb 17, 2012
Surbiton, Surrey
Hi all,

I am looking to purchase a compact water filter for use out and about, size is not too much of an issue but needs to be packable.

I don't have much experience with these and google hasn't yielded the info I have been looking for.

I am currently looking at 2 models - katadyn hiker pro http://www.katadyn.com/usen/katadyn...eries-products/katadyn-hiker-pro-microfilter/ and katadyn mini ceramic http://www.katadyn.com/usen/katadyn...ters-ultralight-series-products/katadyn-mini/

I'm trying to work out which will give better, cleaner water (I presume the ceramic filter) and if either of them are better suited for potential stagnant or muddy water as most of my camping areas don't have rivers or other fresh water sources.

As I said I don't know much about these so not even sure if filtering stagnant water is possible so any advice on the above, or any other potential filters out there that may fit my criteria would be appreciated.

I also want to know if the filtered water would still need to be treated either by boiling, with tabs etc...
I presume not, especially in the case of the ceramic filter which claims to remove bacteria and Protozoa but figured I would put it to the experts on here.

All he best, Hamster

Feb 17, 2012
Surbiton, Surrey
Thanks chis, some good points on there.

I suppose what I really want to know is between the two filters I stated (can you tell I've partially made up my mind) will the hiker pro filter out moth of the nasties found in stagnant water and if so would it be necessary to boil/treat afterwards? The same with the mini ceramic with the added query of will the finer filter be liable to blocking/gumming up if the water is quite silted or muddy and would it need to be per filtered - mil bank bag etc - first?

Cheers, Hamster

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE