water container hygiene

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

philipb

Forager
Feb 20, 2016
wales
If I collect water into A plastic container then poor it into a billy can to boil can I then reuse the plastic container to drink from. Is a quick rinse with clean water enough or is there a potential for viruses to remain in the bottle an re infect my drinking water.

Bishop

Jan 25, 2014
Pencader
Good question.

No, always keep dirty & clean containers separate where possible. Sterilise using fire or chemical treatment any contaminated containers if they are to be used for drinking water.

Ask yourself this...
When your finger goes through the toilet paper would you be comfortable sucking your fingers after a quick rinse?

Last edited:

Jared

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 8, 2005
Wales
I would sanitize with something like milton tabs or bleach.

If was in Africa, or equivalent latitudes could use solar water disinfection.

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
Firstly, you do not have any Viruses in the mouth if you are healthy, only bacteria and posdibly yeasts. More yeasts if you do not have any teeth.
You will transmit oral bacteria into the plastic container. Basically harmless, unless you then keep the remaining water for days in the sun.
All soldiers worldwide drink from their canteens without harm.

The comparison with a finger and toilet paper is a bit naff, as colon bacteria are not meant to be digested, but oral bakteria are.

I would worry more if the water contain harmful organisms than oral bacteria and yeasts.

philipb

Forager
Feb 20, 2016
wales
Yes I was not worried from viruses from my mouth getting in the water

if I collect water in a plastic bottle and use an aquatab in it I am happy to dink it from that bottle (I have a pump filter that gets rid of any crud prior to that). but if I boil it is there a danger of micro organisms remaining in the plastic bottle. I am only collecting water in the uk and I try to collect water from the cleanest source I can find to start with and then I filter it. from what I understand the risk of viruses in the water is low in the uk to start with (I hope I am correct about that) but I do want to feel safe about the water I collect.

the safe option is obviously use a separate bottle or continue using the aquatabs. but am I being too paranoid?

Claudiasboris

Life Member
Feb 8, 2009
Sheffield
I worry about same thing. Carrying a plastic (or stainless) water bottle and a metal mug: if I need to collect water I could use the mug, pour it through a filter (maybe just a shemagh) into the bottle then use tablets, but the mug is "unclean". Or do I collect and pour using the bottle, boil in the mug and then have an "unclean" bottle?

I know the obvious answer is to carry a "dirty" bottle. But when it's only for occasional use (probably less), I don't want the extra bulk and weight (yeah, I know, negligible).

Claudiasboris

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
Once suspect water had been in my bottle I would not be drinking from it until the bottle was sanitised.

Yes, I misunderstood!

No, I would not drink from the water bottle / container until I sterilised it, preferably with boiling water.
I used the water bottle only with drinking / clean water, never suspect. If that principle is adhered to religiously you do not risk getting sick.
Similar to the Jewish Kosher laws in the kitchen.

Natural water in Northern Europe does not contain viruses, can just be full of bacteria, toxic stuff and so on.
In Scandinavia most streams away from human habitation is safe to drink if you follow some simple rules.
I was taught to investigate upstream for about 100 meters, both sides and the water, checking for dead animals. Use the nose too. Only drink running water.
Never used purification tablets, and never got sick.
In UK I would treat all water as dirty.

I used to live on a farmhouse outside Mayfield in East Sussex. Cesspit was about 100 meters downhill from the house, and a stream was maybe 20 meters beyond that. Downhill.

janso

Dec 31, 2012
Penwith, Cornwall
I keep a platypus bottle marked for 'unclean' water and only use it as such. Keep treated water separate and don't cross contaminate. It's just not worth the grief by drinking dirty water if you can easily separate.

Sent from my hidey hole using Tapatalk... sssh!

AdeInTokyo

Feb 13, 2016
Tokyo, Japan
Most water in the uk as long as your not downstream of a farm/cesspit or a dead cow is going to be OK for the most part. Especially around this time of year.

A babbling broke on a mountain top I personally would risk it(what you stated above) a rinse out of the bottle with clean water is more likely going to be enough.

However if you're still worried. Get a life straw or sawyer mini or the like. A steri-pen is another good option. One I use in Asia is this;

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B00...X236_SY340_FMwebp_QL65&keywords=usb+steri+pen

Rechargeable via USB. Very handy. A bit heavy though.
When I was doing trips through south-east Asia, I combined the steri-pen with a sawyer squeeze and a carbon filter insert, water tasted fine.
Having drunk some foul (from larger rivers that looked like chocolate pudding to muddy puddles) water on treks in Vietnam and Laos. Didn't get the squits. I recommend.

Also different people react differently to bacteria. If you have a delicate stomach more care should be taken.

Personally I've got a pretty iron clad stomach after having lived in India, Nepal and other Asian countries my gut biome is pretty on point.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE