water bottles and water

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Van-Wild

Feb 17, 2018
UK
So you use same bottle as waterbottle AND peebottle?! :eek:o_O
I'll use the nalgene bottle to carry water. Once empty and I'm in camp, the nalgne becomes my toilet in the night. I won't use it for water again until its washed out......

Unless I'm with Bear Grylls. Because then I'll drink my own pee from the rattlesnake skin which I carry for that specific purpose.....

• Love
Reactions: CLEM and Chris

demented dale

Dec 16, 2021
hell
I'll use the nalgene bottle to carry water. Once empty and I'm in camp, the nalgne becomes my toilet in the night. I won't use it for water again until its washed out......

Unless I'm with Bear Grylls. Because then I'll drink my own pee from the rattlesnake skin which I carry for that specific purpose.....

Minotaur

Native
Apr 27, 2005
Birmingham
My hiking bottles are 850ml smart water bottles. I tend to carry 4.
If going over night I add a 3l platypus to that.
I also carry a plastic roll up bottle which gets used during the night if required :)
I have 2 bushcraft set ups in that I have a set built around smart bottles and a US canteen set with oasis and a stainless steel bottle.

Reactions: John59

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
Two glow in the dark 1L wide mouth Nalgene, one with a Humangear lid to make it better for drinking out of. One clear wide mouth for a pee if I’m in a tent or hammock.

The Humangear lid is something I’d recommend to anyone who drinks from the bottle. It’s mightily annoying taking a swig when in a sleeping bag in your hammock or tent and having water pour down you.

Reactions: CLEM and Herman30

Danceswithhelicopters

Sep 7, 2004
Scotland
Two glow in the dark 1L wide mouth Nalgene, one with a Humangear lid to make it better for drinking out of. One clear wide mouth for a pee if I’m in a tent or hammock.

The Humangear lid is something I’d recommend to anyone who drinks from the bottle. It’s mightily annoying taking a swig when in a sleeping bag in your hammock or tent and having water pour down you.

Another upvote for the Humangear lid. Excellent bit of kit.

Danceswithhelicopters

Sep 7, 2004
Scotland
For me I have, and use the following as needed:

Large water storage for canoe camping and around fixed camps I have an old MSR 2L Dromedary bag. Hard as nails, caps a bit fiddly but they do newer lighter models. Handy to loan to friends and to hang from a tree.

I've updated to a 4L Sea to Summit WaterCell which is a more thorough design than the the MSR. Cap fiddly but better and a little bit bigger so less refilling. It's also great for a little bit of trimming on a canoe.

For water filtration, I have the Grayl water filter. Great, easy to use and acts as its own reservoir to drink out of. I lost the original Kickstarter one but straightaway went out and bought a new one, the Grayl Ultrapress. Perhaps I should have gone for the larger version, the Geopress. 710ml versus 500ml.

Bottles, I use standard Nalgenes, I love the Glow in the Dark ones which were a godsend trekking in unlit tea rooms. I like the Pillid cap add-on as well as the aforementioned upthread, Humangear Capcap. They are bombproof and the Pillid allows a place for tablets.

As for pee bottles, I have an old beat-up Nalgene recovered from the Spey which has enough warning stickers to put even the most confused of drinking from it.

Last edited:

Lean'n'mean

Settler
Nov 18, 2020
France
These. Why ? Because they're there. :rolleyes:

002.jpg

Reactions: John59

ijohnson

Mar 10, 2024
uk
Am I the only person that thinks camelbak's and some plastic bottles impart a 'taste' to the water?

For that reason I prefer to use stainless steel Klean Kanteen bottles. I have 4 x 800ml and 1 x 400ml which is usually plenty for my small adventures. A couple have sport caps which are good for drinking direct from the bottle with the normal caps if I'm just filling the pot or kettle.

Danceswithhelicopters

Sep 7, 2004
Scotland
Am I the only person that thinks camelbak's and some plastic bottles impart a 'taste' to the water?

For that reason I prefer to use stainless steel Klean Kanteen bottles. I have 4 x 800ml and 1 x 400ml which is usually plenty for my small adventures. A couple have sport caps which are good for drinking direct from the bottle with the normal caps if I'm just filling the pot or kettle.
I've found the older stuff used to impart taste but haven't noticed it recent years. I do strangely notice a metallic taste while drinking from metal bottles.

Reactions: Pattree

Pattree

Jul 19, 2023
UK
In addition to the items I’ve mentioned above I often carry a travel coffee cup that is 100% “upside down and shake it” leak proof when closed. Problem with that as a water carrier is that it’s probably full of coffee when I set out.

Plastic taste - nope. They certainly used to years ago but mine don’t, not even the cheap ones. I’ve had water in the big carriers for a week and I leave that outside the tent. I put it in the shade but with a circular tipi the sun is going to get to it sometime. No taste though.

ijohnson

Mar 10, 2024
uk
I've found the older stuff used to impart taste but haven't noticed it recent years. I do strangely notice a metallic taste while drinking from metal bottles.
Interesting. My 'newest' camelbak is probably 12 years old now, but I don't have as much use for them these days so wouldn't invest in a new one to check.
I've noticed a metallic taste from alluminium bottles, but the SS ones just seem as good as glass or ceramic to me.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE