Water- and mouldproofing cotton tent

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Jul 24, 2016
Åland Islands
Hello, I've just sewn a tipi in 100% cotton canvas. And before raising it I would like to make it more resistant to water and mold. So I need some suggestions. Preferably something that's not very expensive since a tipi is quite many sqm.

For the lower edge and the front I will put a mix of tar, linseed oil and pigments. But I can't do that on the whole tipi, it will get too dark.

scarfell

Forager
Oct 4, 2016
south east
The traditional method is to smoke it, basically build a fire inside and keep it going; there are lots of articles on the process online ...probably the cheapest method to depending on your firewood access; could be that different woods produce different results too

Also seasoning the canvas, allowing it to get wet in the rain, then dry out, allows the cotton to expand and contract forming a nice tight mesh

Last edited:
Jul 24, 2016
Åland Islands
Thanks! I will let it smoke in over time, but that also darkens the fabric a lot, making the tipi quite dark. So I'm not too fond of the idea to do that intentionally.

Yea the fabric will get seasoned natually, but I'm not very worried about it leaking. Rather I'm worried it will be getting wet and not drying out completely.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Not terribly traditional I know, but fabsil works well :) Dilute in a bucket of water and brush on with a big soft fence brush. Let it dry. Have another go at the seams and bits that seem most vulnerable.
You could probably do the whole thing for under £20.
Loads of cans of the stuff on ebay….probably available in outdoor stores nearer to you though.

M

scarfell

Forager
Oct 4, 2016
south east
I've never noticed the darkness to much myself, theres nothing like a fire heated tipi imo, its the main reason i love them :) the smoke is excellent for resisting mold, both because it waterproofs, and creates an enviroment that many molds dont like; that said, if you dont dry the canvas out, it will eventually get moldy, no matter what you use

(worth researching any synthetic anti-mold treatments you use, some of the chems cant have significant enviromental and health effects, gotta way the risks and benefits -even smoke of course is carcinogenic, although you shouldnt be in the tipi while smoking it))

kevin1

Jun 17, 2009
Poole
Hi I have used Thompson's water seal. On the back it says you can use on canvas and it works well.

Monikieman

Jun 17, 2013
Monikie, Angus
I did a bell tent last year. Looked online and found a ref to Thomsons and eventually B&Q cement sealer. There was another one mentioned but it changed formula and wasn't suitable for canvas. The B&Q one says it's suitable for canvas. £16 I think with a friendly OAP on a Wednesday. Clear liquid, didn't darken. Spray bottle. hope that helps.

Jaeger

Dec 3, 2014
United Kingdom
Aye Up kanijonas,

+1 from me re fabsil (Gold) if you aren't against silicone and can bear the cost. I did a lavvu with it last year and the rain just beads and rolls off.

I found that I could make the fabsil go further by using one of the 1 - 2 litre garden spray bottles.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE