Watches

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Ben Trout

Nomad
Feb 19, 2006
Wiltshire, GB
I've got a Traser. From memory it's the cheapest steel cased one. On USMC's 'Commando' strap with solid pins turned down from bike spokes, I trash sprung pins far too often. I had the second hand drop off, but put that back on OK and it's been fine since. Taken a few good knocks and has survived a bit of hammer drill abuse.

I have a basic Casio with backlight for smart use and a cheapy thing for work and they are both in a drawer in need of new batteries!

Very happy with it. I find it's possible to read in any light conditions and it's bright enough to find in the middle of the night.

Incidentally I also have Traser key rings on the zips of my expedition sack. Good for getting into pockets without digging out my headtorch and for being a bit more visible when I'm leading in the dark.

Templar

Forager
Mar 14, 2006
Can Tho, Vietnam (Australian)
Hi Pierre

How about a Citizen Pro-Master dive watch, they are inexpensive, water resistant to 200m self luminos, analogue with day date, stainless body, black or white face, Quartz movement, with crystal lens and one way bezle.

I have one of these I use for work, I'm in the Army, and have had mine for about 9 years now and only replaced the battery once so far, the only thing I would changed with it is the strap, I replaced the rubbery plastic strap with a safety strap the type used for military diving it has some "D" rings on a shorter piece of strap that you loop the tail of the strap through so that if you loose a pin you dont loose your watch too.

I hope this helps..
Karl

addyb

Native
Jul 2, 2005
Vancouver Island, Canada.
I like Seiko too, but then again who wouldn't? I think the 7s26 is a great movement! Low dead angle, the Seiko magic lever, and diashock protection all combine to equal one heck of a watch. Except that I don't consider mine a beater. I have a little "5" automatic and I can't believe how cheap you guys in other countries can get 'em for. I had to pay $150 for mine which is why I take exquisite care of it. (We college students are generally very hard pressed for cash.) I mentioned the Vostok earlier because I had an Amphibia which I abused the heck out of for a year or so before it finally kicked the bucket. The things I did to that watch should never be done to ANY watch, and they probably would've destroyed a Seiko in a lot less time.

Of course....if I had the money, I'd OBVIOUSLY go and buy a Rolex Submariner on a Bond NATO strap!

Adam

Post Script: Jason, you're right about Vostok movements being flakey. My 2416b used to stop occasionally when I'd pull out the crown. But it was durable and cheap so I couldn't complain. :)

CLEM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 10, 2004
Stourbridge
Casio Gshock for me,tough as old boots which is what I need because I have a knack for wrecking watches.

addyb

Native
Jul 2, 2005
Vancouver Island, Canada.
No Ian, I'd much prefer a Submariner. It's the original James Bond watch, just check out Connery in Goldfinger's opening sequence. Besides, Rolex still does in-house movements, Omega buys 'em wholesale from ETA. :) Ah well....one can dream!

Adam

TheGreenMan

Native
Feb 17, 2006
beyond the pale
Hello Pierre,

I have been looking for a mechanical wind up watch for quite a while, and came upon Chronomaster Web site. I took a strong fancy to the CWC British Military Wris****ch [mmmm...what's with the stars? I wasn't writing anything rude...honest :)] - Mechanical Hand Wound at £150, and have ordered one.

It seems to have a very good pedigree, and looks like a solid piece of kit. And as an added bonus, Neil at Chronomaster is a very pleasant person to do business with.

I’m very much looking forward to its arrival.

http://www.chronomaster.co.uk/CWC military_watches.htm

Best regards,
Paul.

Jan 13, 2004
Czech Republic
lol! and that i did not know :)

Joking aside, i really like Tissot, they aren't the cheapest, but i have a very simple automatic movement watch of theirs which isn't irritatingly clumpy like others, and i hardly notice it until i need the time :). the glass just doesn't want to scratch either, although the metal has done in places.

jason01

Need to contact Admin...
Oct 24, 2003
TheGreenMan said:
Hello Pierre,

I have been looking for a mechanical wind up watch for quite a while, and came upon Chronomaster Web site. I took a strong fancy to the CWC British Military Wris****ch [mmmm...what's with the stars? I wasn't writing anything rude...honest :)] - Mechanical Hand Wound at £150, and have ordered one.

It seems to have a very good pedigree, and looks like a solid piece of kit. And as an added bonus, Neil at Chronomaster is a very pleasant person to do business with.

I’m very much looking forward to its arrival.

http://www.chronomaster.co.uk/CWC military_watches.htm

Best regards,
Paul.

No offence but again that is a little pricey IMO.

nigel47410 on ebay has a stash of the handwind CWC's, bought one off him recently for £91 shipped, he also has some of the rarer Hamilton's, decent chap to deal with.

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
I wear a Citizen Promaster chronograph for work, but I'll take it off if I have to go anywhere near a CET or other AFV's!! I wore my wifes' baby G in Iraq and it was brilliant (I've got skinny wrists, so big watches look daft on me!) I would wear the Citizen whilst bushcrafting, but then it is getting on a bit and the face has a couple of scratches, so a dink here or there doesn't really bother me!

I bought a large brass mechanical clock the other day at a carboot sale. It's keeping good time but we can't find out anything about it. Any experts want to take a look at it?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE