Wasp Stings

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

torc

Settler
Nov 23, 2005
left coast, ireland
In my place of work wasps started to appear for the first time last week.
Not one all summer and then swarms all of a sudden. Yesterday I picked up at least 12 dead ones from the window ledges where none were the day before. My friend killed 6 himself last Friday just around where he sits..
About 50% of the wasps were normal size but the rest were smaller than usual.
I work in the center of town and last summer wasps were rare, does the sudden appearance of so many indicate a new nest nearby?
Happy trails...torc.

javi

Forager
Nov 4, 2008
Hampton
They're literally all over the tree in our back garden (beech I think) which is producing sap like no tomorrow - you can actually see it dripping off the branches when you look against the sunlight. Not a pleasing situation for me as I found out several years ago the hard way that I have an anaphylactic reaction to bee/ wasp stings. Buggers haven't stopped me yet - although I have to have my Epipen and mobile phone near me all the time :-(

Aug 22, 2009
Medway Kent
Does anyone know how to get rid of a wasp nest, without paying a pest controller?

cover it in diesel, you only have to get it on the outside as the wasps will actualy carry it in as they enter. i have had a couple of nests this year and could only get one with diesel as the other was in a crack in sone brick work (diesel will still work just hardey to get it in there) so for that one i just spayed it with some raid (fly spray from pound land) this killed a cople of them and calmed it down a bit but a couple of days later it was back and seemed to be worse i i sprayed it again and then when it calmed down i filled the crack in with cement. ;)

ForgeCorvus

Nomad
Oct 27, 2007
norfolk
Anyone had any joy with those inflatable fake wasp's nests?

About three weeks ago I was at an event (larp) and when we came to pack up I noticed a bottle half full of apple juice on the ground near one of the tents, an hour later it had an inch and a half of dead wasps in it

Salix

Nomad
Jan 13, 2006
Bolton
This year I have been mostly getting stung.........Wasps, Clegs, Horseflies and mother flipping mozzies, i normally dont get bitten that often, but this year for some reason.....at this moment in time i have;

2 Wasp stings (Itching like you wouldnt believe)

2 Cleg bites, like eggs on my arms

6 Mozzie bites,

I'me rather looking foreward to meeting an Adder as i know it's going to happen lol

Mark

Nickthechippy

Jan 21, 2009
barnstaple
Someone told me that wasp and bee stings actually reduce your immunity to .... wasp and bee stings. So the more you get stung the less immunity you have to them.

Is that right?

Nick

Colin.W

Nomad
May 3, 2009
Weston Super Mare Somerset UK
when I worked part time in a cafe it used to make me jump when wasps flew into the electric fly zapper, instead of the little crack you get with the flys, when the wasps hit the electrode they go off like a cap gun,

Colin.W

Nomad
May 3, 2009
Weston Super Mare Somerset UK
I dont know about wasp stings but as a keep amateur apiarist I know that with bee stings over time most bee keepers develop a natural resistance to the stings unless they have a massive multiple attack, in some cases where people have an adverse reaction to bee venom it can trigger an alergic resistance so next time they get stung it develops into AS (Anaphylactic shock) although AS can result from the first ever sting

MikeE

Sep 12, 2005
Essex
My wife, 3yr old daughter and father in law - all stung in last week!
Anthisan seems to work, well it did for wife and daughter. Father in law not so effective and he was stung on his right hand (book illustrator and of course, right handed!)
Any surefire cure would be gratefully received!:AR15firin

Am I right in hearing that beekepers don't get arthritis? Something in the sting helps protect against arthiritis in later life, can't remember where I heard this, maybe from the same pile about stinging yourself with nettles to ease rheumatism.

I bought some beeswax from a beekeper who was selling up after a lifetime of keeping bees, lovely fella, not a tooth left in his head.........

Bushwhacker

Banned
Jun 26, 2008
Dorset
Here's the reason why they're about at this time of year.

Previous to this time of year, they have been killing garden pests and bringing them back to the nest for the larvae to feed on - the larvae are carniverous. In turn the larvae produce a sweet liquid which the wasps feed on.

At this time of year the larvae leave the nest and there's no more sugary fluid for the wasps. They then have to go in search of it - orchards, hedgerows, bins, picnics, etc.
This is why we deem them as a pest, when in fact they have good reason for it.
I quite like them, very clever creatures IMO and I've never been stung.................yet!

rawshak

Forager
Jan 11, 2009
Cornwall
I accidentally disturbed an underground nest at the bushmoot this year and got swarmed. I ended up with thirty-two stings all together... Luckily I medicated it with beer and was fine :D

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE