Washing clothes in the bush..

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

EdS

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
yes they do lower surface tension and thier break down does increase BOD - but their main action is to increase phosphates which are the limiting in freshwater ecosystems. This increase in phophates allows for increase algae growth with then depletes O2 rather than O2 depletion been direct.

Soaps themselves have a high BOD - small amounts can have a significant effect on pools plus they a high pH. Most aquatic life will tollerate a greater diversion form pH 7 to the acid side (ie lower) than on the basic (high) side.

Both general detergents and soaps are not good new really - that said a few drops in a loch isn't going to do much harm but if multiplied or a very delicate ecosystem...

Non ionic surfacants that are Purpose manufactured for easy "eco-friendly" biolocial break down are better.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Fairy liquid (in fact, almost any washing up liquid) is *really* bad for streams.

Pure soap flakes - cheap and go a long way - or ecover.

The soap flakes can be used for personal hygiene as well as clothes. You need very very few flakes - best to dissolve them in a bit of water, then add the resulting solution to your washbucket.

Do you think the miniscule amount of fairy liquid that may eventually get to a water source near me will have any impact? No. I use bath water and sink water at home on my outdoor plants and that water is full of soap, detergents, shower gel, shampoo Radox and perhaps the occupational bit of carrot ect in far high quantaties than any camper will use and my plants thrive well enough. People have no problem peeing all over the place when camping so I tend not to worry about a couple of litres of washing up water going into the soil (never directly in streams or rivers).

Sometimes I'm perhaps too honest about things, I've been away with folk from here who have been more than happy to nick a bit of fairy liquid off me or use my washing up pan and scouring pad lol but would they admit it? not on your nelly :)

mrcharly

Jan 25, 2011
North Yorkshire, UK
Streams aren't the same as garden plants!

As thoroughly explained above, the problem isn't with toxins in the detergent/soap, it's depleting O2 and the effect on fish. A small shallow stream can have a lot of fish, not a large water volume and be easily damaged by soap/detergent.

tommy the cat

Feb 6, 2007
SHROPSHIRE UK
Lars Monsen didnt wash( I dont think) any of his clothes on hnis awesome trip across Canada....mind he did throw away his under crackers away at one point!!!!!
If you havent seen them on you tube watch english subbies but awesome....glad it wasnt smell avision. Lars maintains washing too much is unhealthy in that environment.
d

forestwalker

Ordinary soap. Shave of a few bits, put with luke warm water in a plastic bag. I prefer the ones from Dove, because they produce a nice lather if I need to shave. Multitasking items are good in my book.

I do the same, pretty much. Except I use either an olive oil based pure soap or the home-made versions (lately part moose part coconut butter). Easy to carry, no bottles to leak, works fine for all needs.

forestwalker

As thoroughly explained above, the problem isn't with toxins in the detergent/soap, it's depleting O2 and the effect on fish. A small shallow stream can have a lot of fish, not a large water volume and be easily damaged by soap/detergent.

Which is why you pour out any washwater away from the streams, the soil will filter, slow down, and allow some biodegradation to take place.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales

I don't throw in the streams......... I pour it on grass away from the camp and the soil filters it for me, or do you suggest we bring home all our waste water perhaps? I take a 200ml bottle with me (detergent) and it will last me a week.

mrcharly

Jan 25, 2011
North Yorkshire, UK
I don't throw in the streams......... I pour it on grass away from the camp and the soil filters it for me, or do you suggest we bring home all our waste water perhaps? I take a 200ml bottle with me (detergent) and it will last me a week.

Oh - I thought you'd be bashing your clothes on a rock ;)

The OP said "Something that wouldnt decimate fish and other organisms when it ran into a river.". So I was answering in that context. I agree with you about a little detergent on the grass not causing any harm.

spiritwalker

Native
Jun 22, 2009
wirral
uv kills bacteria you could try hanging your clothes in the sun to remove nasty niffs when abroad i take 2 cotton shirts and just rinse them with lightly soapy water dry them in the sun and all is good one to wear one hanging to dry

Settler
Aug 8, 2010
here
Folks in western 21st century society wash clothes far far more often than is needed or is good for the environment.
I remember reading a Dervla Murphy travel novel about a trip with her 10 yr old daughter, can't remember if it was the Afghanistan one or ten feet in the Andes, anyway she said the locals put their winter clothes on in October and took them off in spring.
Washing clothes uses 10 times more energy than the whole manufacture chain put together. OK you might like to wash your socks and undies but jeans can happily go months between washes. Just washing in stream water with no detergent gets stuff clean (may not remove stains but it is clean) and doesn't leave you smelling of perfume. Same at home, try putting your washing through at 30 degrees with no detergent and see if you can tell the difference. If you want to try this it may be advisable to stop buying white, I did years ago.

lol - at least you'll always have an empty seat next to you on public transport stinky!!

what is acceptable in the third world doesnt necessarily translate into being acceptable in the first world. and we are after all a social animal.

robin wood

Oct 29, 2007
derbyshire
www.robin-wood.co.uk
lol - at least you'll always have an empty seat next to you on public transport stinky!!

what is acceptable in the third world doesnt necessarily translate into being acceptable in the first world. and we are after all a social animal.
:lmao: I thought I might get a bit more of that but it looks like most of us here are not into the washing everything all the time with loads of smellies.
I am a social animal and I don't like unpleasant smells which is why I wash clothes with water with just a few teaspoons instead of masses of powder and 30 degrees instead of hot wash makes a big difference to energy consumption and no difference to clean/smell. All that powder and hot wash stuff is about keeping whites, whiter than white and nothing to do with personal hygiene.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE