Washing backpacks

Quixoticgeek

Aug 4, 2013
Europe
So after a decade of (ab)use, my 60L deuter backpack has got to the point where it stinks. It's never been washed, and other the the occasional shower on the outside, has not been wet.

Does anyone have any advice on washing of backpacks? I was thinking of putting it in the bath with some warm water and soap flakes. Is this likely to have a detrimental impact upon the pack?

Thanks

J

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Really its a nylon/plastic rucksack so into a bath with a bit of Bold. Last year I did this with a really dirty and smelly Swedish 35/40l frame pack and it came out clean and smell free :) Rinse it a couple of times in clean water and hang on the line. The pack won't worry about what detergent you use.

Jul 30, 2012
westmidlands
chuck it in the washin machine with derergent in its component pieces, my custom karrimor was as good as new, cool 30 degree detergent, and the softners up to you.

Jared

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 8, 2005
Wales
Someone put a nylon rucksack of mine in the washing machine.

Cleaned it nicely, but unfortunately had a sewn in waterproof cover, so that de-laminated. :/

Ecoman

Sep 18, 2013
Isle of Arran
www.HPOC.co.uk
I throw mine in the washing machine on a cool wool wash with reduced spin. I always wash with Nikwax "Tech Wash" and "Wash In". Gives it a bit of waterproofing and brings them up lovely.

AndyD

Settler
Dec 20, 2011
North East England
I put mine in the washer.30 degree gentle wash.
I dissolve soap flakes in 1 litre of warm water and add to the drawer.

I put the pack inside a laundry bag so the straps/buckles don't get caught up.
Once the cycle has finished I put it through another rinse then spin again.

ozzy1977

Jan 10, 2006
Henley
I cant put my 3 big bags in our machine as the frames don't come out, the only time I have washed them O used washing powder in the bath, rinsed off with the shower then out on the line

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE