Washing a SASS smock

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

treadlightly

Jan 29, 2007
Powys
I have one and agree, machine wash on a gentle programme at 30 with non bio or wool friendly liquid works well.

Andy_P

Mar 21, 2010
Sheffield, UK
what about retreating after washing? Surplus place I got my windproof smock from said to use fabsil rather than nikwax wash in stuff. what about waxing it like a barbour jacket?

swotty

Apr 25, 2009
Somerset
Mine's gaberdine and for about the last ten years I've stuck it in the washing machine with everything else at 40° and its been fine :)

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Fabsil (synthetic) or Nikwax (water bound wax) will add a bit of initial water repelling structure to the fabric surface. In really wet conditions this will be overpowered and the natural waterproof function of Ventile and similar fabrics (swelling of the fibres to close the structure of the fabric) takes over again. Over use of proofing destroys the ability of the fabric to take up water and swell and thereby spoils the function of the cloth to become self waterproof. If in doubt - do not proof and let the fabric do its own thing!
I have used Ventile for several decades, love it and treasure it and even used it in my final clothing collection when I did my Btec OND in Design: the SASS fabric is a similar fabric. This proofing (or not ) regime should work fine on your smock :)
Be aware that over spinning the smock in the washing machine could cause seam failure as the spin tries to force lumps of water through an impermeable layer of fabric - so low or no spin - and that your smock will probably hold lumps of water even if you do spin it and pulling the smock from the machine will tip these all over the floor, flooding the utility room floor ... experience here I am afraid...
Pull the smock into shape and line dry it on a hanger ... tumble drying will be long and expensive as the fabric will be wringing wet...

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE