Wash-In-Waterproof solution, where do I get it from and is it any good?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Jul 26, 2009
My Front Room
I have a deerhunter jacket which has stood me well for many years. However age and rough mileage have taken its toll and its no longer waterproof.
A chap on the same beat mentioned proofing his fleece in the washing machine. Was this BS or is there such a product and does it work?

lee2205

Tenderfoot
Jan 7, 2010
guildford
never heard of one you can do in the washing machine, however take it to a good drycleaners and they should be able to do it for you. either with arosoles or in their machine
lee

Rebel

Native
Jun 12, 2005
Hertfordshire (UK)
I have a deerhunter jacket which has stood me well for many years. However age and rough mileage have taken its toll and its no longer waterproof.
A chap on the same beat mentioned proofing his fleece in the washing machine. Was this BS or is there such a product and does it work?

That'll be the Nikwax Polar Proof. The product is for fleece and wool basically. How well it works is another question. It will probably add water repellency but I can't see how a fleece can become waterproof.

Is your deerhunter jacket a fleece? If not then you might need a different product such as TX.Direct wash in.

Check the Nikwax website and see which product is for you.

http://www.nikwax.co.uk/en-gb/index.php

sxmolloy

Mar 22, 2006
lancashire, north west england
As Rebel said. I have used Nikwax to reproof coats and trousers etc in the machine. Works a treat every time. Choosing the Nikwax product depends on what material your coat is however, but I'm sure Nikwax will do something.

Grangers also do a wash in proofer, but I tried this once and went straight back to Nikwax.

Try any outdoor store on the high street, ebay, raymears.com etc etc

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE