Was this a good price for a Vango Force ten?

scottishwolf

Settler
Oct 22, 2006
Ayr
While looking for a few bits and bobs at the local car boot sale a few weeks ago I spied a large box that said Vango Force ten on it. I had a closer look and realised that it had never even been opened. The lady said that her husband had won it in a competition in the early eighties, put it in the attic and forgotten about it. I opened it, had a look and it turned out to be the orange two man version and was brand spanking new :)

I couldn't really afford a new tent but thought i'd ask anyway as I knew these are brilliant. She replied........................

Well we really need to clear the attic....................

and it is very old.....................

so how about...........................

One pound :D :D :D :D :D :D

was going to haggle but didn't have the heart lol :lmao:

Made my day and just shows it's always worth going to car boot sales etc.

scottishwolf

Settler
Oct 22, 2006
Ayr
Havn't put it up outside yet but will next week, I did put it up in the house though and it's great . It's exactly the same as one my dad had when I was a kid. :)

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
Great scot! I couldnt beat that!

Mine was £10 and though it had that new smell, had been used at least once by the mud on the pegs.

I dread to think of what a boxed one would get on Ebay...unless you `really` want to keep it, it might be best to pass it on. (No, not `now`...in the spring)

(but offer it here first.)

And lets face it, its well worth keeping.

(I saw one of those Primus 96s go on Ebay for £155 the other day)

scottishwolf

Settler
Oct 22, 2006
Ayr
There's a few 'used' ones on evilbay just now for over £200 :eek:

I really think I'll keep it though as it is a top quality tent. I like the fact that you can pitch the outer tent first if it's raining too ;) . Ok, it's heavy but I have lightweight tents if i'm going any distance and there is plenty of bothies around Scotland which means you don't have to use a tent at all a lot of the time :D

brilliant tents do exactly wot they say o nthe tin i used my old mans back in the 80's never a problem though definalty heavy and bulky oks for splitting between 2 though

its the reason why i bought a Vango family tent this year an 8 man hoop tunnel jobby and it was no problem last week in howling gusts in North Exmoor I still had to get out and check the ropes n pegs several times in the night sure something was about to take off but not a single one had moved or needed adjustment :D

your right about the fly first pitching used many times as well as fly last for drying out when striking :D :D

ATB

Duncan

Tourist

Settler
Jun 15, 2007
Northants
Damn fine.

Used them from a blazing summer doing the Ten Tors on Dartmoor to the Scottish Isles and Highlands in the snow. Irecall one really bad night we squeezed 4 into a two man.

huntersforge

Oct 14, 2006
southern scotland
Yep you got a bargain there mate .
These tents will take all that the British weather can throw at them and more .
I remember about 7 or 8 years ago being at macrahanish kayak surfing when we stayed for a few days . The first night was so windy I parked the van in front of the tent as it was so windy only to be woken at about 2am to the horror of thinking the van was going to topple over onto the tent it was that windy . Moved the van and me and the tent had a very uneasy night . Thankfully we both made it .
Dont sell it and go retro :)

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Thats a steal.

An e-mail to Vango might be in order though - you never know - they might swap it for their latest model.

Either way its a bargain

Red

scottishwolf

Settler
Oct 22, 2006
Ayr
I'm deffo going to keep it, the one my late father had managed to survive the worst the Scottish weather could through at it for over 20 years and even then was more than useable. So, if you see a bright orange early 80's tent on a hill near you this winter, chances are it'll be me :D

I'll probably not have the money for a long time to buy a new tent of this quality so, 'retro' it is :D :D :D

Robby

Nomad
Jul 22, 2005
Glasgow, Southside
Vivid memories of waking up during a venture scout weekender, wondering why it was still as dark at 9:30 in the morning. Unzipped the tent and the door flaps stayed where they were. We'd had a really heavy snow fall that almost buried the tent. There was only about an inch of the ridgeline showing. The force ten was the best tent I ever used.

A definite bargain.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE