Warning Blandford Fly time.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

oldtimer

Sep 27, 2005
Oxfordshire and Pyrenees-Orientales, France
Our GP has just posted her annual warning about this pest. I was stung three or four years ago and still have an area of damaged skin as a result, so I pass on her warning as I do each year.

The Blandford Fly is prevalent in areas with water nearby, especially the banks of rivers. The females seek sources of a good blood meal before going out in the evening to mate. (Yes, we've all met the human equivalent!) They are low flyers and mostly attack legs and feet. May and June are the months when they are most active.

Wikipedia has a good entry on the Blandford Fly which I recommend reading.

Damascus

Native
Dec 3, 2005
Norwich
Got bitten when i served at Blandford, had a real reaction and my wrist had swollen to the point I couldn’t wear my watch, apparently if you drink lots of single malt whiskey though, counter acts the effects!

Kadushu

If Carlsberg made grumpy people...
Jul 29, 2014
Kent
Horse flies love me but I find putting rubbing alcohol on the bite reduces the swelling and itching, even hours after the event. May be worth a try for blandford fly?

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
I've not seen one this way yet but I know it's inevitable, my Deet and after bite are sitting in the car all ready for when I need it

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE