Warbeast tomahawk by Devin Price

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
...Also, an axe head on it's own is damned uncomfortable to use in the hand for any length of time...

True. Not quite as much with a traditional hawk though as they have rounded polls. (the Warhawk isn't exactly a traditional hawk)

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Maybe so, do you reckon the knife is view as our version of the sword? do you think there are peeps who would hold the axe in higher regard? personally I think they are roughly equal in importance, I can do just as much with one as the other, of course I cant drop trees to the same diameter with a knife as I can with an axe, but I can whittle as well with my sfa as with a knife( that comment relates to my efforts), I wonder if its down to high value things being small and delicate in look?

I suspect it's a combination of two things. 1st as you said we probably tend to relate a knife to a sword to some extent; 2nd I think that a knife is just more personal than an axe (or any other tool for that matter)

Retired Member southey

Jun 4, 2006
your house!
I would like to know what you think of it as a self rescue tool dude? couldn't see it be much good in the cabin, other than slicing but not with the handle on,or is it with the intent of some one from the crew being able to get out side and maybe having to cut away air frame to extract other members? that I can see, then out on the ground I can see it being of use, have you seen the tools used here? J knives and estwing axes(though the axe is in the survival kit)?
images

shaggystu

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 10, 2003
Derbyshire
Maybe so, do you reckon the knife is view as our version of the sword?...

in the way that historically swords were often seen as being status symbols with certain manufacturers being considered "better" than others and demanding inflated prices as a result of that (bayley knife anyone?), or with swords often being awarded to individuals by lords/kings/chieftans etc. in acknowlegement of service or as a symbol of office (there's still only one way to get your hands on a "proper" woodlore),
then yes, very much so.

...do you think there are peeps who would hold the axe in higher regard?....

yes, i think i'm probably one of them TBH, i like knives, some of mine are lovely, but i really like axes. as to why that is i really couldn't say, there's just something about a good axe that does it for me.

...I wonder if its down to high value things being small and delicate in look?......

i think you could well be onto something there, knives tend to be a lot more elaborately decorated than axes, which is only possible because of the much smaller and more delicate nature of a knife compared to an axe. where would you put a mosaic pin on an axe? coloured liners? shiney silver bolsters? exotic hardwood scales? etc. an axe is, by nature, a hard working tool, and that doesn't lend itself readily to ornamentation of any kind really, with a knife you're limited by your budget, solid gold liners? not a problem, mosaic pins filled with precious stones? if you want, platinum bolsters? if you've got the cash, then why not. knives have pretty much infinate scope for us to satisfy the peacock within us and show off as much as we like without ever even using the tool, i think that axes are a little more demanding of us.

stuart

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
I would like to know what you think of it as a self rescue tool dude? couldn't see it be much good in the cabin, other than slicing but not with the handle on,or is it with the intent of some one from the crew being able to get out side and maybe having to cut away air frame to extract other members? that I can see, then out on the ground I can see it being of use, have you seen the tools used here? J knives and estwing axes(though the axe is in the survival kit)?
images

I've seen various versions of the second one. It's used by in correctional facilities to cut down inmates who are attempting to hang themselves (it does the job without introducing a weapon into the facility. Another version (a switchblade folder) is issued to aircrew to cut tangled parachute lines with.

As for using the hawk as an escape tool it's mostly issued on helicopters (I never saw one on a fixed wing but that doesn't mean that they may be there) A helicopter usually has a great deal of plexiglass that I suppose a hawk could easily chop through. I don't know how often (or even IF) it's been used for that though. I think it's probably mostly a psycological boost for the aircrews.

Last edited:

Arizroughrider

Forager
Apr 24, 2010
Prescott, Arizona USA
I am really getting into bushcraft, but did not own an axe. I ordered a Husqvarna Traditional Multipurpose Axe earlier in the week. It arrived last night. First impression - the handle was very rough. I took a red Scotch-brite pad and smoothed out the handle. In Mors Kochanski's "Bushcraft" book he shows a drawing of the axe handle in an arm pit and the hand around the axe head and says that an axe this size is the most comfortable to use. In that aspect it is a perfect fit. It came with a simple leather cover for the edge. It has a very sharp edge. It is hand forged and was made in Sweden. I am going to get some gun stock oil for the handle. Overall, I am happy with it.

forestaxe.jpg

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Arizroughrider, I owe you an apology; this thread has totally taken a left turn into unknown territory at times.

Thank you for not taking offence :)

cheers,
Toddy

Arizroughrider

Forager
Apr 24, 2010
Prescott, Arizona USA
Arizroughrider, I owe you an apology; this thread has totally taken a left turn into unknown territory at times.

Thank you for not taking offence :)

cheers,
Toddy

Toddy,
No worries here. I am here to learn bushcraft skills from the people that have been doing it much longer than us Yanks. I just wanted to share something from this side of the pond.
Stitch

Paganwolf

Jul 26, 2004
Essex, Uk
www.WoodlifeTrails.com
t'hawks are great for the bush as you can make a new helve from what you have around you with the bit, not every axe is a GB some heads do loosen in axes of this kind, only the un experienced would question that.

mrcharly

Jan 25, 2011
North Yorkshire, UK
I can't quite believe that the axe would really be useful for 'chopping' out of an aircraft - if there is room to swing it, I bet there is room to get out by other means. The round wooden handle really wouldn't be strong enough for prying - I bet you'd be better off with a fireman's pick.

That aside, it does look a useful tool for the bush. A lot of the better-quality axes can't be used as hammers. The warbeast looks like it's designed to cope hammering but still be fairly light.

I think the haft-hole is round - so it would be easy to make a new handle from a 'whole' stick. Much easier than a normal axe-shape.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I watched the video and...hmmmm. I'm sure in skilled hands it's a useful tool.
I use an estwing these days, several folks have commented that it's to their mind a bit lightweight, I suspect that the tomahawk might fall into that category too. Doesn't stop me using it effectively though.

I've used axes all my life and I've never lost the head of one yet. Never broken the haft of one yet either; and though trees grow round-ish, they do so with inconvenient sticky out bits ;) The rehaft with a tree idea sounds easy, but how much of a faffing around is it in reality to get the fit secure if doing it by hand in the back of beyond ?
If I break the haft on my axe all I need to do is shape the end of a stick to fit the eye and then wedge it in place; a six of one and two threes of t'other.
Different folks, different strokes.

The only time I've ever hit anything with a tomahawk was the idiot boy who was pulling my plait when I was about seven.
I swiped it off him and clocked him with it :eek: In my defence the tomahawk was a plastic headed toy, and I never subscribed to the female being passive about being bullied, he should have known better :rolleyes:
I don't think kids play cowboys and Indians these days (Sorry Rik, mea culpa; native Americans) do they ?

We live and learn :D Interesting thread, thanks again for your patience Arizroughrider :)

cheers,
Toddy

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE