Wanted: Tilley Lamp

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

chas brookes

Life Member
Jun 20, 2006
west sussex
glad you got it working, I think you are probably right it had been sitting around for quite a while so it could be a partial blockage of the vapouriser.
:burnout:

Mikey P

Nov 22, 2003
Glasgow, Scotland
Here we are:

10s6d93.jpg

Cleaned and resprayed tank with red-purple lacquer (3 coats), cleaned guard (although still a bit corroded, perfectly functional), had to replace pump housing (it broke at the thread), cleaned everything else, and replaced washers and pump leather with Service Pack.

Service pack, mantles and pump spares from http://www.base-camp.co.uk who also gave me some advice and tips - brilliant company so please use them.

So, lamp was free from Chas (cheers mate!),
Lacquer was 3.00 from eBay
Pump spares, mantles and service pack from Base Camp, about 13.00
So, whole lot about 16 quid. Still need to clean out the vapour tube but nearly all sorted now.

Andy2112

On a new journey
Jan 4, 2007
West Midlands
I've seen a pair of old tilley lamps for sale, gold base and black top, glass intact but they need new mantles, the guy is asking £20 each for them, what do you think about the price/quality ? any ideas ? worth buying or will it be a case of too much to repair.

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
Well, they're worth around 100 notes new from the manufacturers, and sometimes even more. Mantles will be easy to come by.

As to the hynting, are all your seals intact? A pump up should solve the problem, but if you have a seal leaking then you won't get the pressure up.

Silverback

Sep 29, 2006
England
I bought one off ebay and had a really bad experiece with the seller p4ula It was described as very good condition and was an absolute train wreck when it arrived with obvious damage sustained long before it was ever dispatched to me. The seller had excellent feedback so I foolishly assumed returning for a refund would be simple amicable affair NOT SO seller ignored me both via email and phone (hung up as soon as I asked for seller by name). I posted negative feedback following this and almost straight away she responded with a cowardly retaliatory response which ebay duly removed at my request. I ended up going through a lengthy dispute with Paypal and filed a claim. I got my money but still lost out on the return postage and the seller had the audacity to post follow up feedback to say that a full refund had been given omitting to mention that it was only after a lengthy 'touch and go' battle resulting in Paypal wrenching my refund from her grubby little dishonest grasp! :cussing:

wingstoo

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
May 12, 2005
South Marches
Hi Mikey P,

I have had to buy a couple of new glasses for my Tilley lamp, they are not too expensive at about £8 to £10.

As for Paraffin I get mine "On draught" at 74.9p per litre, so I bought 21ltrs ;)

Also looking to get a load more at that price:D

Take a look around your area and see if you can get it "draught" rather than "pre-packed" it is about half the price.

wingstoo

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE