Wanted: Stainless steel lanyard tube

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Jedadiah

Native
Jan 29, 2007
Northern Doghouse
Hi All,

just wondered if anyone has some stainless steel lanyard tube for my new project? All sorts of bit's and pieces to swap, including some brass lanyard tube. Drop me a line, cheers,

Jedadiah

Pignut

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 9, 2005
Lincolnshire
That may well be the size i'm after Pignut, i think 10mm is around 7/16 is it? If it is about that what would you want for it?

Not sure on size I am a metric man!

If you want some all I want is your addy and details of length you require and I will send it out to you

jojo

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 16, 2006
England's most easterly point
It's approximately 10mm. If you buy 7/16 tube, make sure you also buy a 7/16 drill bit. I made the mistake to buy 6mm tube and use a 1/4 drill bit. result: holes in the wood too big:cussing: It could be that 7/16 is slightly too big or too small, both a pain in the A...:D

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
I mix and match between metric and imperial drills to get the best fit that I can. I find that in wood, holes tend to tighten up slightly, every bit as much of a PITA as when drilling metal. A 10mm tube won't go through a 10mm hole unless your drill is really sloppy and is cutting oversize. I always aim to use about a 0.1mm bigger drill than the pin/tube stock. That gives a reasonable slide fit, not so tight it has to be hammered, just pushed firmly.

1/4 = 6.35mm, hence use a 6.4 or 6.5 drill. I tend to use the 6.4 and put up with it being a little tight, rather than 6.5 and having it be loose.

The conversion is 1 inch = 25.4mm, so, 7/16 = 11.1125mm which isn't aproximately 10 anything.
No amount of trying will make 7/16 stock go through a 10mm hole! and the other way around will be sloppy. If my tube was 7/16 I would buy a 11.2mm drill, which can be done from good engineering shops, or Axminster, or Cromwell.

Mind you, I would think that tube that size would be a bit big. I really like the way that tube of about 8mm diameter looks, I have also seen 1/4 inch tube look alright. The main problem I find is getting the tube to have adequate wall thickness to chamfer. The above mentioned model shop quotes gauge wall thickness and their tube is spot on with enough metal to resist bending while it is installed, and then to be counter sunk for a smoother feel and improved looks.

Jedadiah

Native
Jan 29, 2007
Northern Doghouse
Tell you what Pignut, i'll try to ascertain the correct size as 'C' and Jojo have got me thinking now and i don't want to take something from you that i won't use. I'll get back to you, but i'm pretty sure that i need 7/16 OD tube. Cheers man.

Pignut

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 9, 2005
Lincolnshire
Tell you what Pignut, i'll try to ascertain the correct size as 'C' and Jojo have got me thinking now and i don't want to take something from you that i won't use. I'll get back to you, but i'm pretty sure that i need 7/16 OD tube. Cheers man.

No worries!

Keep me posted

Lemoneyewash

Tenderfoot
Mar 16, 2004
UK

Got some 3/8" in 316L if you want some?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE