Wanted - SASS type smock

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Having had a look at a SASS smock, I find myself with a hankering for a new cotton smock. I'm needing something with at least a 44" chest, 46" would be better with the measurement (When laid flat on the floor) from the top of the shoulder to the bottom of the smock to be 33" and longish sleeves as well. It doesn't have to specifically be a SASS smock, although that would be nice but that sort of quality and in good condition as well. Black would be the first choice for a colour, but green, dpm etc. will be ok as well.

I'm looking to trade my spare Canon Powershot A40 It's in what I would describe as 95% condition as there are some scratches on the bottom around the battery hatch but other than that it's spotless. It comes with the original box, manual, CDROM and whatever else is in the box. It also has a 256meg memory card and Jessops case. For some idea of the online picture quality look here and here

I'll also add a kydex sheath for the right deal, see my thread here

Brian

Settler
Nov 6, 2003
Saltburn
Jon,

Any chance of some pictures mate and a few more details, so we can see what it looks like, because I like kit. ;)

Brian

Apologies for the dodgy pic, but it's real pain trying to get a pic of an all black smock :rolleyes:

smock.jpg

Its made from very heavy duty cotton, not sure if it's ventile but it is a very tight weave and is windproof. As you can see, two patch pockets on the front (Which do have all their buttons by the way :rolleyes: ) with fold over tops under the fIaps so as not to let anything drop out, I am tempted to get two more stitched on at chest level to make getting to stuff easier. It has a very good hood which has a draw cord adjustment and actually allows to to move your head around. There's another draw cord inside at waist level, I find this a bit fiddly to keep retying and as I'm a built for comfort rather than speed it's a bit awkward to tie two knots and leave it tied, so that draw cord may well get swapped for shock cord and a pair of toggles. It's jump rated so hase the crotch strap.

Length wise, although I'm 6'2" I only have a 30" inside leg so the majority of my height is in my body. One problem this can give me is finding jackets that are long enough with out being stupidly baggy. This fits the bill perfectly reaching I would say at least half way down to my knees and yet not restricting my movement to any great degree. I've been wearing it over a tshirt and swanni and while it's not hanging like a tent, there's still plenty of room for movement and should I need it room for another layer again. Having said that, I was actually at least as warm if not warmer than my goretex/fleece 3-in-1 yet with half the bulk.

If I'd have swapped the camera for this, I would have been extremely happy, as it was a member of British Blades (Hepotec, not sure if he's a member here) gave it to me totally free so it's safe to say I'm over the moon with it :D

Jan 13, 2004
Czech Republic
that's a well nice smock :) good find.

if people want to see the picture better the detail is actually quite good if you just save it and use 'auto correct' or increase the contrast and brightness.

Nemisis

Settler
Nov 20, 2005
Staffordshire
I don't know about waxing it I proofed mine with nikwax cottonproof with limited success but that was using the washing machine I thought that next time i'd use a spray and apply it directly, but the main problem will be that the seams aren't sealed making it a big job to fully proof it.
Dave

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE