Wanted: Red Deer Antler bits for flint knapping

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Neumo

Jul 16, 2009
West Sussex
I spent yesterday learning to flint knapp at the Moot & want to get myself some bits of Red Deer antler horn to do pressure flaking & soft hammering with. So I am after the following bits:

- Antler points: wide enough to cross my palm diagonally & stick out a bit so looking for bits that are 6 inches plus; longer bits up to 12 inches are good but don't want really short bits (a few inches, that I already have). Ideally I would want 3 of them of different lengths from 6 to 12 inches

- Thicker straight pieces to be used as soft hammer. The ones I saw were again from 6 to 12 inches long & varied in thickness from 3/4 to 2 inches. Again a selection of 2 or 3 would be good, with a small & a medium size being ideal

I would like to get a few but single pieces would be good to get me going. Reasonable price paid for them & to cover postage.

Exbomz

Oct 19, 2004
East Sussex
- Thicker straight pieces to be used as soft hammer. The ones I saw were again from 6 to 12 inches long & varied in thickness from 3/4 to 2 inches. Again a selection of 2 or 3 would be good, with a small & a medium size being ideal

The hammer pieces need to include the coronet - the bit where it joins/joined the skull - you can cut off/remove the pearls that stick out the side witha saw or grinder. A length of beam from elsewhere on the antler exposes the soft pith which is of no use.

Try calling Highland Horn http://www.highlandhorn.co.uk/stag-antler/3.htm, I have always found them very reasonably priced (see any Google search for comparison) and helpful and will accommodate knappers (or have done before). Speaking to them explain what you want is better than ordering online and you can get all you want or need at not too much money.

Or buy something like this and cut to your own requirements: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/KING-STAG-RED...les_AnimalCollectables_SM&hash=item2eaf0a3f32.

Cheers

PS I've no connection to either!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE