Wanted - Millbank Bag

TobyH

Forager
Apr 4, 2006
Deepest, Darkest Suffolk
I'm after a Millbank Bag, not too worried about age as long as it's in good nick.

Yes I could buy one from a shop, but if I can get one cheaper here I'll be a happy chappy!!

leon-b

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
May 31, 2006
Who knows
you dont need one, just use a hankerchief or any other tight weaved bit of cloth - thats all they are really
leon

leon-b

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
May 31, 2006
Who knows
i havent tried it, just seen it on the forums, but i guess you just hold two corner in each end, scoop up water with it and let it seep through into a pot, as to how much it holds - depends how big the hankerchief is :p
leon

Biddlesby

Settler
May 16, 2005
Frankfurt
Am I right in thinking that a Milbank bag is canvas? I remember mention on the site of making your own. Have a search around, TobyH. Might be cheaper; don't know.

TobyH

Forager
Apr 4, 2006
Deepest, Darkest Suffolk
Having used a Millbank and seen(and tasted) the clarity of the water coming out, I don't think a handkerchief is going to give quite the same effect. The millbank bag has been designed in a certain way to get the maximum filtration from the materials. When I last saw one used it took about 2 hours to fill a small glass, admitedly that was very dirty water, but doing the same thing with a hanky I suspect would be a little shorter in time and therefore more stuff would get through.

I think I'll stick to the Millbank, but thanks for your ideas!!

Miggers, thanks for the info, thats more the price I'm looking for!!

Toadflax

Native
Mar 26, 2007
Oxfordshire
If you do get one from ukkitmonster, it would be interesting to know if it is OK. I saw from their description that the bags are unused ex-military stock, but that some of them date from as early as 1945.

I appreciate that this is a mechanical system, but canvas may deteriorate over a period of 62 years...so I do wonder whether one of the more modern bags may be better.

Geoff

Justin Time

Native
Aug 19, 2003
South Wales
I got mine from eBay, with a date going way back to the 40's. When I queried this, the seller told me he had just recently been issued it :rolleyes: , ie it had come out of stores somewhere before he was sent abroad. TBH I don't think there's much wrong with it.

Greg

Jul 16, 2006
Pembrokeshire
leon-b said:
you dont need one, just use a hankerchief or any other tight weaved bit of cloth - thats all they are really
leon

An old pair of jeans make a good filter, Cut off the legs, put one inside the other and tie a knot in the bottom, make a couple of holes in the top and tie some rope through the holes to make a hanging loop, half fill the space with sand and grass, hang it up then add the water, Bobs your auntie's husband, you have yourself a water filter!:D

TobyH

Forager
Apr 4, 2006
Deepest, Darkest Suffolk
Cheers heath (same surname!!).

I did wonder about the age thing, but if it's been tried and tested and the canvas is in good condition then I'm sure it will be ok.

By the way UKkitmonster were selling one for £9 however they wanted £6.50 delivery!!! How on earth can they justify that?!!!

Toadflax

Native
Mar 26, 2007
Oxfordshire
Ordered mine while there were still 8 left (09:53 yesterday) and it was in my pigeonhole at work at 09:00 this morning. That's how e-Bay should be.

For those who haven't got yours yet, mine dates from 1945, complete with a cloth instruction leaflet and looks to be mint condition. Canvas feels soft and pliable.

Should be a good feeling using what is in effect an antique.

Geoff

nipper

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 18, 2004
Wiltshire
Next time you visit the bank ask for a couple of canvas money bags.

I have used them for many years with no problem at all. If the water is particularly bad use 2 bags, one inside the other. When you get home turn them inside out and chuck them in the washing machine.

Nick

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE