WANTED: lime bark fibres

May 14, 2008
uk
Hi there,

I wanted to make string out of lime bark, but my local woods don't have any lime trees in them, so does anyone have any lime bark fibres that they wish to part with, I am willing to pay for postage and for the resources.

Cheers

Adam

robwolf

Tenderfoot
Aug 16, 2008
thetford norfolk
you sould try parks as the lime is a good park tree ,limes are known for there eppicormic[sorry dont know the spelling] growth so it will have lots of smaller branches growing from the base of the tree so cut one off when no ones looking and disguise the cut with soil

NatG

Settler
Apr 4, 2007
Southend On Sea
if you just fancy string and not neccessarily lime bark then there's plenty of good nettles around at the moment which make great string

Peter_t

Native
Oct 13, 2007
East Sussex
how about useing willow? i cant find any lime in my local woods either lol but willow works reely well. also i think its probably best if its made fresh rather than have it shipped from somewhere els.

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
I should be able to get you some retted lime fibres. Amother thing to the growing list of good karma things to do! :D

Also, try bramble cordage. I made a simple piece of string and ties it around my girls' wrist (she's nearly 6) and it is a sort of bracelet. I was interested to see how long it would last. It's been two weeks now and it is still intact, been in the bath a few times by now I'd expect (busy old Dad is never at home for kids bath time! :() and stood up to her doing constant cart wheels and the head stand to crab gymnastic move she has figured out, plus her normal monkey like antics! It's really good stuff.

alpha_centaur

Settler
Jan 2, 2006
Millport, Scotland
I've got a lime growing at the bottom of the garden. I'm not sure if its put out any eppicormic growth, I'll look tomorrow

Is it just the bark you need?

How much do you need???

May 14, 2008
uk
Thanks for all the advise, i didnt know wych elm bark or bramble could be used, I am just looking for the bark really, but i may try my local local surgeon like Arth suggested.

Thanks again

Adam

robwolf

Tenderfoot
Aug 16, 2008
thetford norfolk
you need the inner bark of lime and it needs to be soaked for about a mounth to allow the outside to rot away,also you could use great willow herb fiber its avalible in winter when not much else is around.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE