Wanted - Leather Maker for Ammo Cuff

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
Hi Guys ,
I know we have quite a few Leather workers here but not sure if any would be interested in taking on a project that maybe new to them.

I have Marlin Underlever rifle and would very much like to have an Ammo Cuff made for the butt.

Examples can be found here http://dealndeals2leatherworks.com/leatherworks.html

Not sure if anyone here has made anything like this or would be interested in having a crack at it for me.

If so please post or PM me.

Cheers.

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
Looks easy enough. But you'd need access to the stock and the ammo.

Yep , I figured access to the stock may be problematic. I could definitely do a template from something along with a series of photos and measurements.

mountainm

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
Strikes me a lot of the designs in the link are flawed. Leather stretches so over time those single loops will stretch as the ammo gets pushed in. Potentially leading to it going straight through. I'd pop another row of smaller loops, use longer loops, use conical loops or fan the ammo, to stop that happening.

Last edited:

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Strikes me a lot of the designs in the link are flawed. Leather stretches so over time those single loops will stretch as the ammo gets pushed in. Potentially leading to it going straight through. I'd pop another row of smaller loops, use longer loops, use conical loops or fan the ammo, to stop that happening.

Depends if its a rimmed or rimless cartridge. The 357 is a rimmed cartridge so can't fall through. If a loop stretched that much they would fall out of the cuff when you set the gun down so would be useless anyway. Its really no different than a friction fit knife sheath in that it should not stretch to the point of slackness if the right materials and techniques are used. None of mine have in many years of use.

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
Bumpo.

This never happened so I'm looking for any other maker that may want to do it?

I have a template and empty cases to work off of. Please PM me or post here if interested.

dewi

May 26, 2015
Cheshire
The link doesn't appear to be working any more, but if you're happy with an amateur having a go at it, I'll give it a lash.

Have you got a piccy of what you're after? A quick google search brought up a bracer type thing with loops for the ammo.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida

What you say sounds logical but I never had any problem with the 45LC cartridge loops on my western gun belts.

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
@ Dewi and Hillbill , many thanks guys , I'm happy for either of you to do it if you like?

Hopefully I'll be getting the original Templates back in a bit and can forward them on.

Hibrion

Maker
Jan 11, 2012
Ireland
If nothing else works out I can do this. I have made them before. Is the rifle a 1984 straight stock model? If so I could work off my own winchester for this. I have 30-30 ammo to hand too and nearly sure I have 357 and 44 mag template here somewhere. However, I am currently away for a couple of weeks and have bit of a lead time.

Drop me a PM if you have any questions.

mountainm

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
5f1f6dff0e4245776bb89a3970aac47c.jpg
d154d73b24ee0008b4d911b81edc962f.jpg

Finally got around to making one. Fingers crossed it fits!

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE