Wanted, hard stiff, grey wool army blanket. Condition otherwise immaterial.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I have to source fabric to make wool gaiters (c1815 style).
I am frankly struggling, I have tried everything under the Sun to find the right stuff at a reasonable price….the best I can find is £45 a metre, so that's not happening.

I need stiff, hard, tight woven wool cloth. Black, dark grey, coloured.

Does anyone have a surplus to requirements old army blanket that would fit the bill ? I don't mind worn bits or moth holes since I can cut out the pieces and avoid those.

Barter, happy to reimburse postage costs and have a wide range of potential resources and kit that could be swapped from natural tinder like chaga to fabric and leather, etc.,

atb,
Mary

bilmo-p5

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 5, 2010
west yorkshire
I've just been thru' my wool bags, and I've nowt like that in black/grey. Have a blanket which would probably suit but it's green.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Thanks Ian :D It has to be black or grey and we need to make two dozen pairs of them. Thankfully it'll not be me who sews on all 366 buttons :)

If you can think of anything else in dark wool that would be stiff enough to work, please let me know. Uniform melton's the stuff really, but the cheapest I can get it for is the forty quid a metre, and that's so far out of the budget for these that it's not happening.

atb,
M

bilmo-p5

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 5, 2010
west yorkshire
Ha, ha, I have some Melton sort of stuff ; I thought it'd be too soft. I'll pop a piece in the post tonight and if its any good you can have the rest.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Ian if the stuff you have is firm enough to work on these, we'll happily reimburse all costs, or do you fancy the goretex that I put up for sale ? Happy to swap that ?

M

cranmere

Settler
Mar 7, 2014
Somerset, England
Try giving Marcruss in Bristol a call, they had some pretty solid ones in last time I was there. If it sounds as if they have what you need let me know and I can pick them up and post them to you.

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
Mary,
how much of it do you need? Do you recollect the dark grey wool you sent me a couple of years ago? I'll dig it out nd see how much there is of that. Off the top of my head it was 60" wide and about 1.6m long?

More in a mo

ATB

Tom

ph5172

Forager
Feb 13, 2010
Coventry
I have an Army Issue Cream Wool blanket if that is any use? - i don't know the ins and outs of dye and if it would take??

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Thank you kindly for the help folks :) It's appreciated :D

ph5172, dyeing it's straightforward enough, but I'm after one of particularly hard, stiff ones ? They only came in dark grey iirc. No idea where the army sourced them but they seem to date from the 1950's and were pretty much bullet proof (no pun intended).
It's the stiffness I need, not just the wool, and all of the cream blankets that I've come across are too soft.

Thanks anyway :)

cheers,
M

ph5172

Forager
Feb 13, 2010
Coventry
Thank you kindly for the help folks :) It's appreciated :D

ph5172, dyeing it's straightforward enough, but I'm after one of particularly hard, stiff ones ? They only came in dark grey iirc. No idea where the army sourced them but they seem to date from the 1950's and were pretty much bullet proof (no pun intended).
It's the stiffness I need, not just the wool, and all of the cream blankets that I've come across are too soft.

Thanks anyway :)

cheers,
M

No problems. the one i have is a 'soft one'

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE