Wanted;Frost River Bison Pack.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Jacko

Life Member
Aug 3, 2004
SHROPSHIRE
Hi folks,
Long shot, but would anyone like to sell me the Bison Bushcraft pack made by Frost River? Cash or trade......
Cheers and thanks,

Jacko

Life Member
Aug 3, 2004
SHROPSHIRE
Cheers for those replies lads! Never even thought of looking on the evilbay....trouble is its up while away on the moot and would prefer to buy off folk on BCUK.
If niether materialise the two surplus ones are of about the right size and with a few leather mods etc could be a possible.
However the offer still stands for anyone on this forum. I have money itching to be spent now!!!:D
Thanks and cheers again,

malley

Nov 17, 2008
Northumberland
Following this thread I've been keeping an eye on the e-bay auction for this pack. It's already around the £110-00 mark. Now, people on this forum seem to sell things at a fair value as far as I can gather. How much is the going rate for one of these packs? Just curious as that already seems steep for something well used that was only £150-00 new? I am not critcising anyone in any way, just wonder if it is worth waiting for one to turn up at a lower price?

For example, Alan Wood knives? I saw some of these go for £350 - 400 on e-bay, whereas people on here or British Blades were selling them to each other for £150-ish.

You can probably tell I, too have fallen for these packs!

Any guidance appreciated.

Cheers,
Steve.

malley

Nov 17, 2008
Northumberland
Jacko,

Yes - 15min drive. I, too am heading to the bushmoot. Be sure to introduce ourselves?! Wonder how much it will go for? Have you seen any going for sale this year? It seems very steep, considering. They are a nice bit of kit, though. Thanks to you - I want one!

Jacko

Life Member
Aug 3, 2004
SHROPSHIRE
Yeah sure, I will be there from the saturday am to pm on the tuesday, unless I can wrangle another day out of the boss!!
I hope that it does go to someone from here as they will appreciate it as it truly is a thing of beauty :)o ).

Mikey P

Nov 22, 2003
Glasgow, Scotland
Following this thread I've been keeping an eye on the e-bay auction for this pack. It's already around the £110-00 mark. Now, people on this forum seem to sell things at a fair value as far as I can gather. How much is the going rate for one of these packs? Just curious as that already seems steep for something well used that was only £150-00 new? I am not critcising anyone in any way, just wonder if it is worth waiting for one to turn up at a lower price?

For example, Alan Wood knives? I saw some of these go for £350 - 400 on e-bay, whereas people on here or British Blades were selling them to each other for £150-ish.

You can probably tell I, too have fallen for these packs!

Any guidance appreciated.

Cheers,
Steve.

Unfortunately, the pack prices are about right for eBay. They are desirable items as they last for ages. Alas, the really good, quality stuff means that the capital outlay is usually high - people know that if you look after them, they last a lifetime, so the long-term 'cost per year' is low even though the initial purchase price is high. Same reason why bushcrafters will often pay good prices for ventile jackets, hammocks, knives, axes and the like - lifetime investments.

If you're lucky, you may get one at 'mates rates' on BCUK but they appear rarely (I've only seen one in the last year, I think), and there are plenty of other people out there who want one too. Truthfully, I think you'll probably have to save the money and bite the bullet to get a new one - just think of it as a long-term investment!

If you can get a genuine Woodlore for £150 then you are Harry Potter ('Alan Woodium, Appearum!'). Not only are these popular because of the design, quality and relation to Ray Mears, there is now a 10-year waiting list (!) and they have become desirable collector's items. You'd be lucky to get one below £300 now. We have been through this 'are they worth it?' many times on the forum and, the bottom line is that they are worth whatever someone wants to pay - no matter how unfair or ridiculous it seems to you.

I have an SBT Mk 1 and have already been offered £50 more than I paid for it by someone who doesn't want to wait a year to have one made (it took 18 months of waiting for me to get it so I know the value of patience and it definitely isn't for sale). It's not worth that, in my opinion, but that's supply and demand for you!

The good news is that BCUK is very good at throwing up excellent alternatives (someone has already pointed out similar packs for less money above) and you only need to check out the 'Maker's Market' or 'Edged Tools' forums to see some real quality hardware that is comparable to Woodlores and SBTs, etc. There are some real craftsmen out there (Dougster to name one - I am a very satisfied customer of his and he made me the sheath and pouch for the SBT).

Don't despair! Help is out there! ;)

malley

Nov 17, 2008
Northumberland
Love that Harry Potter spell!

To be fair the alan wood situation I was talking about was a fair while ago.Agreed this is not the case now - although I'm sure someone sold an Alan Wood bushcrafter on here for around the £150-00 mark in the last month or two.

Just trying to illustrate the difference in prices in different arenas. I agree that a thing is only ever worth what someone is prepare to pay for it. It also inspires me that people still choose to sell to like minded people for lower prices than they could get elsewhere. There is hope for us all!

As for saving for a new one - I'd love to! Can you still get them? Or similar? The ones mentioned don't appear to have the longevity/ last a lifetime quality?

Cheers,
Steve.

steve a

Settler
Oct 2, 2003
south bedfordshire
You wont be able to buy a new one as Frost River stopped trading a while back, the Bison pack was very well designed and had a high build quality.
The quality of the pack and now the rareity value will probably reflect in the price you have to pay secondhand. I have a Bison Pack and wont be selling it in a hurry.

Mikey P

Nov 22, 2003
Glasgow, Scotland
You wont be able to buy a new one as Frost River stopped trading a while back, the Bison pack was very well designed and had a high build quality.
The quality of the pack and now the rareity value will probably reflect in the price you have to pay secondhand. I have a Bison Pack and wont be selling it in a hurry.

Steve,

You're absolutely right, mate. It's always good when a real gem appears at a low price. Unfortunately, pretty much everyone on this site is cottoned onto the 'desirable' items and they go really quickly. For example, the Alan Woods, SBTs, K&M Matchcases, Swanndris, etc. At least on BCUK, there's no bidding war - you see the price and you buy it if you can afford it.

However, the post above might go some way to explaining why the Frost River Packs are starting to attract high prices - they are now automatically 'collectables'!!! I hadn't realised the company had gone under.

robevs73

Maker
Sep 17, 2008
llanelli
i have the smaller bison pack and i really want the one on ebay, i bid upto £102 on it and its now £114! i may bid again, may even go to £150 (thats cos i am stupid) they are a great bit of kit . i to am off to the moot, may climb a tree to get a phone signal place a bid!

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I will have my Bison pack with me at the moot - but it aint for sale.....well, not as cheap as £150....
You may look at it and drool if you like...
Seek out the man in my avatar!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE