Wanted - Climbing rope for practising knots

lostplanet

Aug 18, 2005
Kent
As the the title I am looking for modern 8 to 11 mm rope any colour, that is now not suitable for climbing. I'm looking for Free stuff that people just want rid of but small costs considered.

Lengths of 2 meters or more would be handy. If you are in Kent I would probably drive to collect rather than posting the rope.

Many Thanks

tyfy

Forager
Nov 4, 2006
Peebles, Scotland
You could try contacting a local climbing center and asking about any ropes they might be getting rid of as they are no longer suitable for climbing with.

The places local to me have allowed the Scouts to take away lots (on one trip we came away with 6 x 20-25 meter lengths) but you might have to sign a form saying that you would not use them for climbing or they may cut them to short lengths, neither should be a problem if you are using them for knots.

Just say that you want some old rope for knots and they may be sympathetic.

These are the google results for Kent which is where your profile says you are.

Evolution Climbing Centre

Revolution Climbing Centre

Richard

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Just curious as to why you need climbing rope if it`s just to practice some knots on a short length ? Places like B&Q have a good variety of ropes and cordage etc, you could probably get a good few metres for less than a quid.

lostplanet

Aug 18, 2005
Kent
Thanks richard, I will try your suggestions, Arethusa Venture Center is right near me i will go and see them next week,

Shewie, Just going down that road of research thinking Climbing rope will last the longest, but I have tried some of the cheaper and Hemp type ropes but they to un-ravell quite easily when fiddled with.
I'm Thinking the Old climbing rope is highest possible quality for heavy practicing and hoping it's free too, trying to avoid paying anything if i can.

I not so much need but would like something 20M+ to cut into lengths, that shows the Knot very clearly, seal the ends and just grab and use when needed.

Will check out B+Q too...........

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
I have about 10m of olive 5mm purlon if that`s any good to you ? It`s got a heat weld joint about 1m from one of the ends so I`ve never used it, you could cut that off and use the rest of it though.

Send me your addy if you`re interested

lostplanet

Aug 18, 2005
Kent
Thanks shewie for the offer I have a load of 550 paracord I can use, I would prefer to use 8mm up to 12mm diameter rope to replicate a boats mooring ropes.

cheers

malcolmc

Forager
Jun 10, 2006
Wiltshire
www.webwessex.co.uk
I've used hemp washing line (available at most hardware stores, my local one was a lot cheaper than the DIY sheds), cut into lengths, for teaching knots to a group. Whip the ends (or better still get the students to whip the ends; it's all good practice) and they will last. Hope that helps. :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE