Climbing - Glasgow

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Grooveski

Native
Aug 9, 2005
Glasgow
Hiho,

Been threatening to get back into to shape for the last couple of years and at last the push has begun. Oven the monsoon season I've walked off a pile of weight and started building up a bit of upper body strength, now it's time to add weekly visits to the indoor wall and just thought I'd toss in a line here and see if anyone else fancied it.

Have a full spare set of gear so other than shoes there wouldn't be any extra hire costs(I have a spare pair in size [small]8 only). Am still a long way from climbing fit so will be starting at a beginners grade and if you've never done it before I'll sign you in as a guest and show you the ropes.

Also have all the gubbins for real climbing. The notion is to put in a few months indoors then get out and about come summer.
A good few of my usual haunts have climbs handy. Loch Sween has a crag practically tacked on the side of the campsite, Loch Goil has one about a ten minute paddle away and I recently discovered a hidden outcrop at Loch Fyne that with some cleaning has fair potential(first to lead new routes gets to name them:D). Visits to The Cobbler would no doubt be on the cards and if I had a goal in mind it'd be getting back to the Etive Slabs sometime on a combined climb/canoe trip.

Even in shape I don't climb that high a grade. HVS mostly - E1 on a good day.
...so am a suitable partner for someone just starting out. The routes I tend to go for are usually quite easy technically with their grades bolstered a touch by exposure(5a crux or thereabouts).
Was in a 'Junior Mountain Rescue Club' as a kid so know a fair selection of recovery techniques that I'm happy to pass on as well as the usual offshoots that come with climbing(prussiking, abseiling and the likes).

So yeah, if anyone feels like joining me you're more than welcome.
...even if you're just curious and feel like trying it the once - I don't mind running through the initial spiel for indoor walls, it only takes half an hour or so and is worth it for me just to get someone on the other end of the rope for the evening.
Obviously experienced climbers are also welcome. Will happily belay folk on higher grades but it'll be while before I'll be able to join you on them. The initial plan is definately to sweat it out on the nursery slopes.

:)
Josh

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Jamie might well be very interested Josh :)
I'll let him know. He does have kit, but he's needing the exercise.

atb,
Mary

Grooveski

Native
Aug 9, 2005
Glasgow
You and Stephen are up for belay training whether you like it or not. :p
At the likes of Sween it'd be a doddle to set up a top rope. You can stand at the bottom and hang onto an end while enjoying your coffee. That cliff will destroy me so I'd likely only be taking up half an hour of your time of an afternoon.
[edit]...and I cant imagine you anywhere but in the queue repeatedly if there's an abseil set up for the day. :)

Last edited:

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
You and Stephen are up for belay training whether you like it or not. :p
At the likes of Sween it'd be a doddle to set up a top rope. You can stand at the bottom and hang onto an end while enjoying your coffee. That cliff will destroy me so I'd likely only be taking up half an hour of your time of an afternoon.

I'm in :)

Got a couple of days holiday left to take before the end of March if you fancy a Sween trip sometime, boats or hiking in I don't mind

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE