Want to stop using synthetic plastic materials while camping.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
As a youngster, I used a wool blanket "sleeping bag" in the garden in the summer when I slept out in my cotton pup tent. I must have been about 8 or 9 yrs old.
From what I remember it was two blankets, folded in a particular way, pinned into shape with several kilt pins, and a cotton sheet liner to stop me feeling itchy from the wool.(I still can't bear wool next to my skin)
I can't remember if I was warm or at all chilly. It was a long time ago!
Summer, you'd probably be fine, this time of year, you'd probably be close to hypothermia.
Good idea to try stuff out at home or in the garden first.

Reactions: slimshady and Toddy

Barney Rubble

Settler
Sep 16, 2013
Rochester, Kent
youtube.com
I've camped out in winter with just a merino wool blanket and a fire and have been comfortable. But much depends on your own physiology and how hot/cold you sleep.

But, noting the subject of your email, I can heartily recommend that you binge on a few videos from Giles Binyon's YouTube channel (link below) as he's got non-synthetic camping and hiking down to a fine art.

https://youtube.com/@gilesbinyon

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I'm with Woodygirl on this. You can comfortably sleep with just a couple of blankets, but you need to learn to fold them properly, and you really are best with something dry underneath you.
We used to use oilskin, then we discovered the delights of the closed cell mats :) but those are plastic.
Oilskin is basically waxed cotton.
When folding the blankets, you fold them each in half lenghtways, but you overlap half of each so that you have three 'panels' with the centre one being doubled. You fold the two sides in over to create the sleeping pocket.

This way you have as much blanket beneath you insulating you from the ground, as you have above you keeping you warm, and since they're folded over there are no gaps to let in cold air, and they don't fall off you either.

The big blanket pins/kilt pins/ really help to fasten the foot area tidily for you so your feet don't end up sticking out the bottom. If you have enough then one each side of the top corners of the centre doubled layer helps to keep everything tidy while you get into bed.

Kilt pins are a fashion item among crafters just now. They use them to make 'pins' / brooches. This means they're widely and cheaply available on eBay and the like at present.

I think if you have a merino liner, it might be best kept for inside the two blanket bedroll rather than outside of it. It's softer, warm and will drape around you in a way that a firm wool blanket won't do.

M

Reactions: slimshady

slimshady

Tenderfoot
Oct 29, 2014
Oxfordshire
Hi,
With the above in mind, an oilskin/canvas big enough to act as a bivvi bag would do better still. Cowboy bedroll type.
If I could, I'd choose a cotton liner and a thicker blanket over a merino liner with thin blanket. But as they said try out the options first.
Alex.

Reactions: 1 pot hunter

bearbait

This vid is Kelly Harlton and Mors Kochanski setting up a couple of blankets for sleeping, and also as a blanket pack:

A silk liner may be a good idea inside your blankets: lighweight, squishes down small, and much easier to wash and dry than blankets. Use on its own on warm nights.

As far as a bedroll is concerned something like the Wynnchester Adventurer Canvas Bedroll may serve. Not cheap, nor lightweight! But tough. You can leave your bedding in it when rolling it up to break camp. You can rig it as a hammock too but I've not tried that.

[Edit: as playback here on BCUK seems to have been disabled this (www.youtube.com/watch?v=UhenhDcvN68) is the link.]

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
I've always been interested in the aussie style canvas swags, but they are too low, and too heavy for me to cart around.
I do like the idea of plastic free camping though.
I have a robens light canvas tent, and can use tinware for my plate, cup etc, but it always narrows down to what to sleep on. I need comfort so ground sleeping always needs a double airbed, heavy and cumbersome on its own. How do you replace that with something non plastic?
I've considered a paliasse, but again you have to have enough stuff available to fill it, not always possible. At girls brigade camp, ours were made of sacking, and we filled them with straw from a local farmer who provided the bales. Very comfy when floofed up each night, and it smelt wonderful.!

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
I know there is a guide in the older Scouting and Guiding books.

(An old Guide leader gifted me her blanket pins, which I still have).

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
With sustainability being a big thing nowadays, this is a great concept. The old wool blankets and canvas tents and rucksacks were heavy, that's why more modern lightweight and plastic stuff took over.
I have been putting together a retro kit for a couple of years, getting stuff as and when it became available rather than deliberately hunting it out, and buying it on amazon or whatever.
Charity and junk shops being my main sources. I plan my first 1970 style retro camp in 2023.
It won't be 100%plastic free, but it is reusing older items, mostly charity shop finds, and a lot more plastic free than my modern stuff.
Wish I could find a comfy plastic free bed that fits in the ruck though. I don't do well on the floor nowadays, so I do need an air bed.!

Reactions: billycoen

Erbswurst

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
Of course it can be done. You just have to switch back to 1920, or let's say 1965 although a few items were already issued in a plastic version during WW2.

You still get such old school equipment for reasonable prices on the surplus market. If you don't find it I can help you if you want.

You have to understand that the old school material is heavier than modern military equipment and especially modern civil trekking equipment. That's why you can't sit down at the sewing machine and simply copy modern patterns. You have to go back to the old system of self containing luggage and a strictly followed multi use concept. If not you will not be able to carry it all.

For recreational summer hikes people carried approximately the following, and as you see, these few items fit easily into a pretty small rucksack:

Rucksack

Wool blanket

usually roll mounted in horse shoe shape around the rucksack

Tent sheet
Cordage

2x2 metres to tension it as lean to shelter, and 1,50 metre to make a tripod.

Wool jacket
as pillow too.
Spare underwear 1X
Briefs and T-shirt
Woolen spare socks 1X
Swimming briefs 1X

Toilet paper
Wash kit

tooth brush, tooth cream, soap in an aluminium tin, razor

Food
in the
Mess Kit , German army pattern

Bread bag
containing
Spoon
Candle
Matches
Sewing kit
Pencil

and extra food

ON THE MAN:

Mountain boots
Woolen
Socks

Underwear
Shorts
Cotton Handkerchief

Several times folded usable as pot holder and pre filter before water purification by boiling.
Purse
House
keys
Matches
Belt
Knife
Field bottle with mug and belt pouch

T
-shirt
Shirt

Buttoned long sleeved shirt with two pockets and flaps over it.
Neckerchief
Triangular Boy Scout version
Compass
Topographical
map
1:50 000

More you surely don't like to carry.

Last edited:
Reactions: billycoen

Erbswurst

Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
As you see, the blanket has to be pretty large unless you sleep in a heavy wool coat and just wrap in a similar way a smaller blanket around your legs.

You probably make the best deal if you buy two military blankets and sew them together.

Underneath you have to put either dry straw or a lot of twigs to get off the whet ground unless it's high summer and the ground is really dry.

Sand and stone are cold, meadow is acceptable in summer conditions, forest ground is relatively warm, the warmest is a heap of relatively or really dry leaves. But without a waterproof sheet under you that's your main problem.
You will not sleep on a layer of twigs as soft as in your bed.
if you sleep directly on the ground you make a flat hole under your hip and rather turn onto the chest than the shoulder.

Last edited:

Erbswurst

Mar 5, 2018
Berlin

A large blanket you roll in a similar way. Just try out what's the best for your individual needs. You can either stay on a rectangular base or fold the corners in as triangles in order to reach your needed horse shoe circumference.

Last edited:

Erbswurst

Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
The highest developed old school rucksack that you still can get cheap and that's constructed to mount the blanket in horse shoe shape is the Czechoslovakian M 60 rucksack. That's a slightly changed German Afrika Korps Pattern thats based on a much older common alpine civil pattern. If you have the choice, take the thinner linen version and not the thicker cotton version, otherwise they are identical.
There are shoulder straps made from leather or fabric. The leather version is more comfortable.

That is the fitting bread bag for it.you can carry at over the shoulder, at the belt or use it as some kind of detachable lid for the rucksack.

With a seperate strap onto the bread bag or directly onto the rucksack you can put a mess kit after German pattern.
The best are surely the Austrian ones, but most other European armies issued or issue very similar mess kits. The swiss ones are too high and narrow for my taste.

If you strap that outside and keep it vertical you can carry open cheese and sausage packages in it without any problem, you can store your bread rat and crow proof and so on, even insect proof. If you get the insert I recommend to leave that at home. It's unnecessary heavy and useless for civil use, even rather disturbing, some mess kits don't have it.

Last edited:

Erbswurst

Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
The in my opinion best old school rain coat / tent is for our use by far the polish army tent. I would even bite the bullet and carry two of the shelter halves.

All other options leave you either with an open shelter or you even need to carry three or more tent sheets if you want to make a tent!
The only other option where one man can carry the complete tent and use a single sheet as poncho is the German army tent (BW) with hood pouch. But the polish one is far superior constructed!

Erbswurst

Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
Most armies issued such sewing kits.
You can get them everywhere or make your own one. It's sensible to carry it with the needed needles and threads because natural threads aren't as robust as polyester threads. Don't forget that metal cap for your finger! You need it for heavy straps and leather!

Nail and thread scissors you can get and carry the best with the Vicorinox Farmer X Alox. The little saw is very practical to make the tent pole in the right length. UK legal, the optimal knife for you.

The German army neckerchief is a triangular green boy scout neckerchief in the right size for first aid use and as a towel.

The italian army issued stainless steel signal and shaving mirrors that are sold currently everywhere even unissued.

Merkur makes in Germany all metal razors that are detachable and come in a leather pouch. Thats an old pattern of course.

The British army issued an excellent aluminium soap tin

You still can get field bottles with cork closure used. Clean them with boiling water bottle brush and dish soap and rinse them excessively and they are fine.

The very good Swiss field bottles 32 are pretty small though but have a nesting mug. I would buy another one from the Czech army with cork closure. Perhaps you can even find an old British one.

The whole stuff you will find surely also in Britain if you look for it. If I use a Google search I find at first German sellers of course.

But you surely got an idea what's available and about realistic prices.

If you don't find it, feel free to ask me.
I know a lot of military surplus shops in Europe.

I guess that Steinkogler would even make you boots without rubber soles. Otherwise most of their models are plastic free. If you already get such a custom thing, go there and let them make in your individual measures. It's absolutely worth it! Spend your holydays there or look for British boot makers that are famous in reenactment circles. They surely exist.

I think I have seen somewhere replicas of American civil war rubberised ground sheets. Natural rubber of course.

May be that Stockert is able to assemble you a plastic free compass.
It's worth a trial. If not simply look for an old one.

Happy new year

to everybody!

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE