Want to make your own stove ??

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

maddave

Jan 2, 2004
Manchester UK
There are about 30 different ones to choose from here....... With diagrams and instructions.

http://wings.interfree.it/html/main.html

This is what it's all about !!! Never mind Pressure pump, shaker jet, vapour tube, titanium thingumybobs !!! Couple of old tins and some fuel, and yer rockin' !! :super:

*edit... Check out the 'Thermette' link.......... It's a bloomin' Kelly Kettle !!! :rolmao:

Realgar

Nomad
Aug 12, 2004
W.midlands
Just been messing around with the gelled ethanol thing - the 11mg in 10ml is nowhere near enough calcium acetate, you need a saturated solution to get the gel. Doesn't work with calcium chloride, magnesium formate or any tohr salts I could get off the lab shelves.

match

Settler
Sep 29, 2004
Edinburgh
Just to add my 2 cents, I still think for ease of manufacture and simplicity, the YACC stove is one of my favourites - you need a coke can, and some scissors, and thats it!

YACC Stove

I've made 3 or 4 of these one at a music festival when my friend's trangia broke, and all work wonderfully:

match

Settler
Sep 29, 2004
Edinburgh
He put the lid (with rubber seal) back on the stove while it was stil hot, and the rubber ring melted into the trangia! When we came to light it again, he hadn't noticed, and the rubber ended up (somehow) blocking all the vent holes, so it didn't burn, and we had no way to clean it.

Saying that, on returning to civilisation ;) we managed to get it working again by a good bath in caustic soda or something similar...

In general though, I'd probably still prefer to be carrying a yacc stove in preference to a Trangia burner, purely because of the weight difference, and the fact that my current one seems to heat water faster with less fuel than a trangia!

JakeR

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 18, 2004
Cardiff
I'd like a good stove, but don't like the idea of caryying lots of cooking equiptment....where can you get the alcohol. I assume you can't use meths!

leon-1

Stuart said:
Leon1 & Martyn what is the fastest boil time that you have achived for a liter of water with an alcohol stove?????

Stuart, I don't honestly know, as the majority of the tests that I have done so far have been with 600ml of water (the equivalent of a pint). The fastest so far has been 4 minutes and 15 seconds where it has actually been timed. :)

The first time the mini photon got used in the feild was the tracking course and there it seemed a hell of a lot quicker and not just to me :wink:

I have one that has been made recently that is a bit faster, but it is hazardous (after 15 seconds it had me hiding behind hard cover:yikes:) so I will not put any instructions or descriptions of it on here.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE