want to make a buckskin shirt

sasquatch

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 15, 2008
Northampton
I've always wanted to do one too, it's the price of buckskin that puts me off. I don't have the time or space to do hides myself either...Tandy Leather have buckskin and similar but it's never cheap for the required amount.

Matt.S

Native
Mar 26, 2008
Exeter, Devon
As Mrs Beaton woudl say, first catch your deer.

Most deer-stalkers bin the hide, bones and sinews. Befriend some and you'll probably get more than you can handle.

jojo

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 16, 2006
England's most easterly point
There is one video from youtube about making one. I have some pigskin and I would think pigskin would be suitable for a shirt as it's thin and very strong. Possibly look up on Paleoplanet too, I seem to recall they are some tutorial on making shirts there. Have fun and let's see some pictures! The guy from the vid suggests goat skin for warmer weather.

Last edited:

jojo

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 16, 2006
England's most easterly point
Hard to say Tengu. You could try first to make a pattern that fits you out of pape/masking tape r or some cheap fabric so you can get an idea of how many square feet you'll need.

Cromm

Mar 15, 2009
Debenham,Suffolk.
What I've read is if you are using deer you would need 4 skins. 1 for front,1 for back and 1 for each arm. But it doesn't say how big the deer are....

Cromm

Mar 15, 2009
Debenham,Suffolk.
I think if you work out the size of the shirt you are after then they could work. I know that the braintan/smoked skin become wetproof from the smoking not to sure if the one's you are looking at would be. That would be an issue to me if I wanted to use it in the UK.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE