walsh trainers?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

big_swede

Native
Sep 22, 2006
W Yorkshire
what's your opinion on fell running shoes from walsh? Good or anus? PB trainers specifically. Seems the get mixed reviews (just a quick googling), fit and function seems to be good, but durability is questioned in some, rather outdated, fora posts. QA got better maybe?

johnboy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 2, 2003
Hamilton NZ
www.facebook.com
BS,

I had a few pairs donkey years ago one In a bright Pea Green IIRC. They were very light, well made and the tread on the sole was really good for it's intended use upland running. I would not say they were super durable say like a pair of Asics but then they are really a competitive shoe.

For a good while they were pretty much the only show in town for fell running. My feelings now would be there are a lot of other shoes on the market from Inov8 etc I'd be checking those out.

HTH

big_swede

Native
Sep 22, 2006
W Yorkshire
BS,

I had a few pairs donkey years ago one In a bright Pea Green IIRC. They were very light, well made and the tread on the sole was really good for it's intended use upland running. I would not say they were super durable say like a pair of Asics but then they are really a competitive shoe.

For a good while they were pretty much the only show in town for fell running. My feelings now would be there are a lot of other shoes on the market from Inov8 etc I'd be checking those out.

HTH

Thanks johnboy, problem with Inov8 is their fugly designs and higher price levels. They're having a sale on walsh locally, so I want to get some first hand opinions on longetivity before I settle for anything. Loads of American trail walkers swear on Inov8 though, can't really beat walking the whole appalachian trail for longetivity.

The Cumbrian

Nov 10, 2007
The Rainy Side of the Lakes.
Are you a convert to trail shoes Olle? The only ones that really fit me are Inov8, so I don't have a choice of brands. A few years ago around here, all the fell runners wore Walsh's ( and a few climbers wore them as approach shoes ), but now there's a bigger mix. I think that more people would use them if they realised the massive improvement in grip that you get, and got over their obsession with dry feet.

Cheers, Michael.

big_swede

Native
Sep 22, 2006
W Yorkshire
Yes michael, and I blame you! The new balance pair I got from you are great, but they now feel a bit small. don't know what happened. It's just over the toes, like the width. Hmm. I should put my feet in a vice.

And to be honest I actually like the walsh design, simplistic and functional. Wish all running shoes were like that. The new balance ones were also good in that department. Their current offerings are very ugly me thinks. Whats wrong with plain kangaroo leather? All modern ones have ugly stripes, mesh parts, rubber on the sides and what not..

Last edited:

bigbear

May 1, 2008
Yorkshire
Walsh were - as noted above- the only real fell running shoes for along time, we all wore them, they are an excellent no frills fell shoe. Then New Balance brought out a shoe that was more comfortable for many (depends of course on your foot shape) and they were followed by Saucony, etc, and of course now Inov8.
Walsh are still seen on the feet of lots of fell runners, nothing at all wrong with them. Personally i find other brands are a better fit but would still happily use Walsh if I had to.

Mikey P

Nov 22, 2003
Glasgow, Scotland
You think Inov8s are fugly but you'd buy Walsh PBs?!? :confused:

I use Inov8s but I know lots of folk who swear by Walsh. Depends on the fit - slightly different lasts suit different feet. Try them both before you buy.

Kerne

Maker
Dec 16, 2007
Gloucestershire
I walked Offa's Dyke path in a pair of Innov8's and they were light and comfy throughout and lasted the trip well. And many other trips afterwards. I luurve 'em.

big_swede

Native
Sep 22, 2006
W Yorkshire
So here's what's going down.. Walsh were out in my size. Inov8 was in in my size, I liked the feel of x-talon 212, but they're ugly. I like the simple semi-retro looks of the walsh. The inov8 is double the price of walsh. What to do...

Think it will be mail order then.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE