Wallet Leather, any help?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

DaveBromley

May 17, 2010
Manchester, England
Hi Guys,

Been asked by a relative to make him a custom wallet, my question is what type of leather to use?

I want it to be about 1mm thick, but don't know whether to go for veg tanned or not, whether to use cowhide, pigskin, goatskin etc. I want it to be hard wearing but also carry a nice finish.

So over to the leather gods that inhabit this place lol

Any help would be appreciated and any links to suitable materials would be BRILLIANT

Thanks in advance chaps

Dave

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
I made mine about 2 years ago from some veg tan goatskin that was about 1-1.5mm thick for the outer part and some lightweight goatskin that was about .75mm thick for the insides. I then got a couple credit card folders off of ebay and job done.

I'm really pleased with how it's wearing and I reckon it's going to be with me for a long time :)

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
I dont know where you are getting your leather from at the min mate but there is a place in knutsford that you can buy from and get your hands on the stuff before handing over cash. Only downside is you have to buy full size bits. Will give you directions if you need.
I will also be after some thinner leather my self next month if you want to share some cost.

mr bill

Mar 12, 2014
somerset
Hi Guys,

Been asked by a relative to make him a custom wallet, my question is what type of leather to use?

I want it to be about 1mm thick, but don't know whether to go for veg tanned or not, whether to use cowhide, pigskin, goatskin etc. I want it to be hard wearing but also carry a nice finish.

So over to the leather gods that inhabit this place lol

Any help would be appreciated and any links to suitable materials would be BRILLIANT

Thanks in advance chaps

Dave
dave you should use a 1.00 to 1.2mm veg tanned leather. if you dont want to buy a whole hide section ( a shoulder possibly best) you can probably get enough from a local saddler. i suggest you hand stitch it for the full effect

good luck
bill

Simon H

Nomad
Feb 20, 2008
The Ashdown Forest
Dave have a look at Guest leather, off the A6 near Chorley. He keeps a rake of stuff in, I got some nice 1.5mm through dyed stuff off him and you can pop in and have a good look first. He does like a chat though...

Tom___

Mar 3, 2010
N.Ireland
Hi Dave, try not to go to much over 1mm or it could make life a bit difficult. Are you sewing by hand, machine or lacing? If you are planning to sew it by hand I would recommend 1mm veg tan or if you can get a piece of buffalo (stiffer leather) from somewhere like the identity store. If you are using a machine then it will open up your options on material.....

all the best...!

Tom___

Mar 3, 2010
N.Ireland
Here's a pic of a simple Ipad cover I made for the other half. It's only 4-5oz veg tan (1.5-2mm). When you start putting layers of leather together it can get very thick, very quick...:banghead:

image by gamblealan, on Flickr

If I can be of any help let me know.....

Alan

DaveBromley

May 17, 2010
Manchester, England
Hi Guys

Yeah i do quite a bit of leatherwork already, mainly sheaths and pouches etc, was just info gathering as i've never done a wallet before. I will be hand stitching (as i do all my other stuff) and Simon thanks for the tip about Guest, (I already use the store for my thicker stuff, and you are right Ginger does love a chat lol)

And alan that cover is lovely, really like the contrasting thread!

Dave

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE