walkways

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Dingo

Nomad
Jan 7, 2005
leicestershire
there is an initiative to create walkways and cycle ways throughout the country, with the help of 50 million from the lottery fund, there is four different projects competing for the money, we want the sustrans bid to win.

follow the link and vote for sustrans, its a bit of form filling and replying after you receive an email, but its got to be worth it if we all get better access to the country side and the outdoors in general, take a look, what have you to lose maybe a few footpaths!

http://www.sustrans.org.uk/

thanks for taking the time.

Adam.

P

PeterC

Why on earth would anyone encourage more cyclists in the countryside?

Dingo

Nomad
Jan 7, 2005
leicestershire
visit the site and check out what they want to do, better to have them on cycleways than off road so to speak, and lets not forget the countryside is for everyone, not just an elite few who think they own it all, as long as its respected by all who use it, there shouldnt be a problem, you only have to search this forum to see bad use of the countryside by so called bushcrafters.

a lot of the cycleways and footpaths are going to be around already established country parks, take the time to look and learn before judging, there is to much of the its got to be olive green elitists on here already, like i said before the countryside is for everyone not just the elite few.

sorry for ranting, but this is a good cause for everyone, the other projects are the Eden project, Sherwood forest visitor center, and the Black country park, Sustrans is throughout the country and is for the good of the people everywhere.

take a look, like i say, what have you to lose apart from a footpath!

obviously purist olive greeners like PeterC has already voted with his ignorance.

Mirius

Nomad
Jun 2, 2007
North Surrey
There are a number of bushcrafters who cycle. Personally I'd rather see more cyclists than landrover drivers, and yes, I have done both and enjoyed both in my time.

irishlostboy

Nomad
Dec 3, 2007
Eire
cyclist here too (although not off-road) i love it and cant see any harm done by cyclists, apart from messing up the paintwork of peoples cars when they run them over. (cars running cyclists over....not the other way around. lol) although i am sure too many of any type of activity in an area is likely to cause trouble, cycling included.
nice one, putting this up dingo.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I wrote a book "Discovering Pembrokeshire by Bicycle" to enthuse people into the countryside on 2 wheels.
My sales figures tell me it was a waste of time.
Can I have some of the dosh on offer or is this to be wasted on "official" projects and not get stuck to my hands?:D

h2o

Settler
Oct 1, 2007
ribble valley
brian blessed wants to plant trees ,and ray mears wants the money to go to the eden project.personally i think the cyclists paths would be the most used as its a country wide project unlike the eden thing aimed at the southerners and someone planting a few trees ,i cant remember what the other causes where but its on tv soon i think .doubt ill watch it sounds like load o rubbish to me the money has probably been earmarked already they just want a phone in vote to take more money off the great british public.BEST TO SAVE YOUR MONEY!!! telephone votes via the tv are a rip off even blue peter has been ripping the kids off .if u guys wanna do something constructive buy a tree and plant it!! as for not wanting more cyclist in the countryside all the crap i find is from bushcraft wannabees who leave cans and rubbish all over and fishermen, ive never seen a cyclist throw a mcdonalds off his bike but i have seen 4x4s do it plenty,and they spew out c02 .

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
Theres so many footpaths about these days, no one seem to use them.

I dont know much about cycleways.

I dont think everyone should have access to the countryside, it would be too crowded; the countrside is a place to livce and work in, its `not` a playground for those who insist on living in Megatokyo.

DoctorSpoon

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 24, 2007
Peak District
www.robin-wood.co.uk
I feel that any initiative that encourages people to use their bikes instead of their cars is a good thing and anything that encourages people to put their bikes in their cars and drive them into the countryside to ride them is a bad thing.

The majority of mountain bikers are ignorant idiots who shout at you and make you scuttle for the ditch when you're walking on a footpath but won't get to the edge of the road so you can come past in your car. That opinion comes from 10 years of living up a narrow lane / on a footpath with a regular mountain bike track past my front door!

It is a difficult issue though. I live in the heart of an area that derives a large portion of its wealth from tourists who are on the brink of wrecking what they have come to see.

Dingo

Nomad
Jan 7, 2005
leicestershire
John, if i had anything to do with dishing out the doh, i would make sure you got a little bit!

as for the other projects, i think they are either for just their own area or for the tourist, the fact is at least one of them is going to get this money, so why not vote and get it shared out by the project that will benefit us all, instead of the few who are either visiting the other area's or are lucky enough to live near by.

Adam.

dave k

Nomad
Jun 14, 2006
Blonay, Switzerland
I love cycling, and I never run red lights, cycle on footpaths etc.. I give way to people, even when their dog is uncontrollable and tries to bite my tires off while I hold open the gate for them..

Then again I don't have a problem with people taking their bikes out into the countryside to enjoy it. I used to live up a small track in the middle of nowhere. I enjoyed the quiet, and I didn't mind people cycling, horseriding or foxhunting down the path outside my house.

I think the countryside is for everyone. Saying it doesn't belong to people who don't live there is a bit NIMBY IMHO. No one ever wants to share anything nowdays and this comes across every day, I am very surprised that a lot of people here share those feelings..

I thought it was about getting outside into the wilderness by any means and just enjoying it. I missed the bit where I wasn't welcome because I didn't live there..

Jim_aramis

Forager
Aug 28, 2005
East Cheshire
Sustrans is not just a countryside project. They also try and link up towpaths, cycle lanes and bridleways in towns and cities to make cycling to work etc. much safer and easier.

The particular project for my local area is for a foot/cyclebridge over the river Goyt that would make it easier to access the middlewood way disused railway track with seperate bridleway and path for walkers

Eric_Methven

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 20, 2005
Durham City, County Durham
Right, I've signed up and voted. Thanks for posting this Dingo. Cycleways are the way to go for me. I've lived in Germany and Holland with their dedicated cycle paths and felt perfectly safe doing so. Not so here. Any opportunity to develop safer cycling has to be a good thing for both me and my grandkids. Also, if the price of fuel keeps rising I think we'll see lots more people cycling to work and for short journeys generally.

Eric

Jodie

Native
Aug 25, 2006
London
www.google.co.uk
I've also voted for Sustrans - we were encouraged to do so by work.
You can vote online - doesn't cost a penny:
http://www.thepeoples50million.org.uk/vote

I did watch the profile of the Eden Project's Edge thingy - I thought Tim Smit was very
interesting. He's definitely a man after my own heart "“People need to be educated,
informed, inspired and above all excited by what is happening to plants and conservation.
The trouble is so many people in the field are inarticulate; they can’t communicate. Take
scientists. They may be brilliant at what they do, but they just can’t put it across to
people. Science really should be ‘sex on a stick’. But if you go to most scientific
conferences, you really feel you could be on an Esperanto course”.
Note: many scientists can talk perfectly well to non-scientists. When at a conference
they are talking amongst themselves and language use reflects that - otherwise they'd
be there all day. But he's got a point :D

Here's audio of a talk he gave at the Royal Society:
http://royalsociety.org/page.asp?id=3099

The venture (People's 50 million) has had quite a lot of word-of-mouth publicity and it's
even possible to 'post' details of a project to one's Facebook profile!

Ever since I moved to Camberwell 15 years ago (and moved out five years ago) I've
yearned for a better walkway around the miserable and truly hideous Elephant & Castle
shopping centre / hub.

There are two roundabouts and a concrete underpass of cavernous proportions, with
about 15 exits.

After 8 years living there I did eventually find the magic route of getting across it without
going underground (not a nice place to be) but for most of my journeys through it I'd
find myself "meerkat-ing" at one exit realising that the one I wanted to was a little bit
further on and having to go back in to the tunnelling and try again. Misery.

Things might be looking up though: http://www.elephantandcastle.org.uk/
(apparently the shopping centre is scheduled for demolition in 2010).

Mind you, I also have to admit I have no sense of direction - but that doesn't take away
the fact that I would happily have walked from Trafalgar Square to Camberwell a lot more
often if I hadn't just lost enthusiasm for the walk by having my path made so difficult.

There are similar pedestrian horrors getting on to Greenwich peninsula from Blackheath.

I'm very lucky now where I am that I have easy access to green spaces and small
woodlands on foot.

If Sustrans can make it easier to get around places on foot for anyone then I'm keen for
them to get the money. Also I believe their remit covers the whole of the UK and not
just England which the others do (I may be wrong of course).

John F. - might the local council be interested in republishing your book as part of their
'local walks and outdoors sorts of things' guides which lots of places seem to do. We
have the Green Chain walk where I live and the library is full of leaflets and pamphlets.
Admittedly not 'books' though...
Or how about doing a video diary on Countryfile and flogging a few that way :D

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Sorry, another "anti" here. Sad to post it (particularly since Eric and John are two of the people I respect most on this forum). The cyclists I encounter in the country are, in the majority, the rudest and least caring of all access rights users. They tear past walkers, dog walkers and horse riders splattering them with mud, tearing up the ground and use permissives and footpaths where they have no right to be. On roads they go straight through red lights and "undertake" on narrow lanes where there is only one lane rather than queueing with other road users. I have offered first aid on three RTAs now - where a cyclist was involved (on each occasion the cyclists fault - as verified by an independent witness).

Frankly I am anti cyclist until cyclists learn to respect other users of the countryside and would oppose any initiative to extend footpath use to cyclists - indded I would seek to get them to be confined to roads at present. Horse riders, dog walkers, shooters, walkers and even hawkers on this farm respect one another. Cyclists (who have no right of access at all given all access is permissive) cause more problems than all the others combined and appear to care not one jot for other access users. I appreciate this may be localised and entirely non representative, however all access rights to cyclists are about to be withdrawn around here as a result of the total disregard for other users of the paths and access rights. This includes a number of cyclists who have sworn at the person walking and running in the middle of the footpath. This person (not me) is the landowner who offered access rights in the first place. I have agreed with his "no cyclists" policy - why should he be abused for allowing them to cycle on his land?

Sorry, but cyclists need to learn that, as much as they want respect, they need to learn to respect others. If that means dismount and wheel your bike past a nervous horse - so be it. Pedal slowly past walkers so as not to spray them with mud and give way to farm vehicles on farms!

Red

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
Yes, AND GET A HI VIZ JACKET!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jodie

Native
Aug 25, 2006
London
www.google.co.uk
I think the Sustrans programme is for walkers too Red... I nearly got mown down
in central London by a cyclist upon whom I heaped many evil thoughts, but my lovely
ex-flatmate cycles all over the place and he's very tame :)

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
And hence my thoughts Jodie " as ye sow, shall ye reap". The pillock in stupid dayglo lycra who cursed the walker he nearly mowed down (who just happened to own several square miles of Hampshire) will, I hope, recognise that one, solitary, act of rude, ill considered, ill temper cost cylclists access to about a third of the Meon Valley for at least a decade.

Those who live round here, please note, whoever it is riding in red, yellow and gren skin tight lycra with an all black helmet on some form of mountain bike who has cut up me and the landowner on what are legally, footpaths has caused all rights for cyclists to be revoked on some of the most beautiful parts of the South Downs.

Again - be careful - the guy who you abuse may own the land you are riding on and make it (as it should be) a footpath.

Red

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE