Walking The Cleveland Way

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

philaw

Settler
Nov 27, 2004
Hull, East Yorkshire, UK.
I'm going to walk about half of the Cleveland Way, starting this coming Monday. Has anybody here walked it? If so, I'd welcome any tips.

For those that don't know it, it's in the North York Moors national park, starting from Helmsley, and within about 2 miles you go past Rievaulx abbey, which I'll visit. There are a few villages, but the first place with a shop, and that's big enough to maybe call a town, is Osmotherley, after 21 miles. Much of it is up on edge of the moors wih long views.

The plan is to walk for three days at my own pace and get picked up from as far as I get to. Meanwhile, I'll be kipping under a tarp, cooking gnocci on my trangia, and enjoying some world-class peace and quiet..

Phil

dommyracer

Native
May 26, 2006
London
Gnocchi eh? Nice, I've had thoughts of using them instead of noodles or more 'traditional pasta but not had chance to try it out. Have you used them before?

Walk sounds nice by the way, I am hoping to walk the Ridgeway in the not too distant.

philaw

Settler
Nov 27, 2004
Hull, East Yorkshire, UK.
I completed the part of the half of the walk that I wanted to, and I'd recomend it to anyone. It was much nicer than the Wolds Way, with wonderful views throughout. For about 40 miles walking from Sutton Bank you can see across the whole of the Vale of York. It's totally flat, and you're on steep hills overlooking it, so you can see perhaps twenty miles and feel like Zeus looking down from mount Olympus.

The experience of doing the Minster Way and Wolds Way stood me in good stead, and I managed to take everything I needed and nothing I didn't. I saw loads of ground-nesting birds up on the North York Moors, a roe deer's bum as it ran away, and cute little nesting grouse.There were people out there B&Bing that were carrying more than me, and I had the trangia, sleeping bag, first aid kit, plenty of food and water, and no blisters. Rock-on!

It occured to me to leave the main pot of the trangia behind and cook in the cup/ lid, which was more than adequate for me alone. Just an idea.

If anyone wants to know anything else about the walk, post or pm me.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE