Walking poles

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

johnboy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 2, 2003
Hamilton NZ
www.facebook.com
Hi,

Who uses walking poles on here and if you do what type do you use..

I've been thinking about getting some for a while mainly for stuff like this...

IMAGE_012.jpg

or this

DSCF0040.jpg

or places like this...

DSCF0048.jpg

any thoughts useful.....

Cheers

John

Last edited:

Aristotle

Forager
Jan 13, 2010
NW England
Yes. They are a great tool.

I've used my Leki poles (about 12 years of abuse) on glaciers, rock, moorland etc. etc and they are great.

Good for balance, traction, using arms for propulsion and extending reach.

tedw

Settler
Sep 3, 2003
Cambridgeshire, UK
I agree with the ancient philosopher. My 10-year old Leki poles have done me proud in mountainous terrain all over the world. Highly recommended for preserving the knees, bringing the upper body into play and balance, especially when carrying a heavy load. Get a pair and trog on!:)

durulz

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 9, 2008
Elsewhere
I use one.
I use one I made myself - made from yew with a piece of antler on top. Unfortunately I don't have any pictures to hand to show you.

andybysea

Oct 15, 2008
South east Scotland.
I use Leki wanderfreund poles had them about 16yrs, absolute must when im going down cliff's/slopes etc especially as my knee's have seen better days, also use them to hold up my tarp.

BorderReiver

Mar 31, 2004
Norfolk U.K.
Leki too.:)

Two is best; greater support and balance, and useful as shelter supports.

One of our snowshoeing group this February only used one pole,"I like to keep a hand free"; guess who was always falling over and having to put a snowshoe back on while the rest of us stood about getting cold?:(

Two poles reduce wear and tear on the knees and actually help to reduce fatigue on a long walk too.:)

jonnno

Forager
Mar 19, 2009
Belfast
As I understand it if you have one you use it like a staff for balance but if you have 2 you use them totally differently and more for propulsion - it allows the arms to do some of the work that the legs usually do making you a more efficient walker.

BorderReiver

Mar 31, 2004
Norfolk U.K.
As I understand it if you have one you use it like a staff for balance but if you have 2 you use them totally differently and more for propulsion - it allows the arms to do some of the work that the legs usually do making you a more efficient walker.

Aye jonno but two give you even greater balance than one.

Think of it as a four wheel drive equivalent. Using two has saved me from getting wet crossing rivers, navigating boggy ground and falling arseover down wet or rocky hillsides.:)

SWMBO has a matching pair; mine are not matching as I bought them years apart, having used one for a long time. I'm annoyed at having wasted all those years and having damaged my poor old knees on steep descents.:eek:

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
Think of it as a bit like the all wheel drive road cars like the subaru. Most of the drive is from the back wheels or your legs but up to 40% of the drive is from the front wheels however it is up to 25% in your arms IIRC.

Two poles IMHO is best for balance, propulsion and symmetry. That last one might not seem important but I do think if you only use one you inevitably favour one side over the other and I do think that could cause imbalance in your muscles and joints after some time. People may argue that point but if like me you came to poles because of a knee or other joint problem then you are already a little bit broken so it is best to remove any potential source of further problems. My knee problem was due to an imbalance in the ankle which followed up through the knee and potentially could have caused lower back problems. It was the only thing to keep me walking at one point. I now have a lot stronger knees, ankles and the rest of me too so I only use the poles now for backpacking.

As far as makes go I started with Kohla alpen absorbers and they were the bees knees. They were second in the market share to Leki who practically owned the market back then. Better than Leki's IMHO. When they failed I got Black Diamond ones with the flick lock length adjustment (without shock absorbers which after using them in the Kohlas I realised they weren't that good). The locking mech is better than any others. I managed to dent one section so one no longer closes up small the other one lost the whole tip which was found by luck and taped on. It worked like that for a year but when I replaced it recently I put the diffferent sections together to get one good one to use with my new one made by mountain king.

IMHO there is no valid reason to spend as much as I did on the BD poles, I would personally go for mid-value range Mountain King. They are very good IMHO and can buy them singly. They come with snow and normal basket too.

wicca

Native
Oct 19, 2008
South Coast
I made a comment to a lady who teaches Pilates, about the large number of German tourists I had seen who stride around with two walking poles, even on flat ground. I can't recall her full answer but it seems the beneficial gain in cardio-vascular exercise using two poles, even on flat ground is not inconsiderable, and she highly recommended it. That's apart from the other benefits of using the poles when in rough country.

Aristotle

Forager
Jan 13, 2010
NW England
Two poles all the way.

There is a benefit for everything from trekking with a heavy pack to mountain running.

Wooden staffs tend to be a lot heavier, less ergonomic and don't extend/reduce length too easily for carrying on the side of a pack.

Paul_B

Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
Ever tried running with poles? On a good mountain path it is a lot of fun. You use it like ski poles leaning into the bend. Way cool! You tend to go a lot faster too. I managed to go too fast and got myself a bit worried shall we say.

I agree with wooden staffs being too heavy but I do think making them is probably the main interesting part of them and actually useing them is less good.

nige7whit

Forager
Feb 10, 2009
Brize Norton / Midlands (rest)
I agree with all of the above, I use 2 Leki carbon fibre poles, with the anti-shock feature, and am a complete believer.

They give you an extra point of contact with the ground, when crossing difficult gaps, as a boost up when acenting, and as an extra push along, when on the flat.

I initially got one, then went back to complete the pair after a couple of outings. I would suggest going to a shop to try several types, as they're not all the same length (adjustable, but some won't extend as far as other models).

I got the carbon ones, not because of the pure weight saving, but because they just 'felt better', in terms of balance and have thinner tubes as a result of the material used.

Limaed

Apr 11, 2006
Perth
I actually hate the things! Yes I know they are good for your knees, balance etc but I just dont like them!
I went to Nepal a few years ago and everyone in my group used them, click, click, click all day long!
My other gripe is that they are often used as a substitute for an ice axe (often the axe is still on the bag) and folk quite often find themselves on difficult winter ground whilst still using thier poles. You can't ice axe arrest with a ski pole(s). The same can apply in summer on loose steep ground.
They are handy howeve in some mountain situations particlary windy conditions and with a heavy bag, but i'rd rather do without.

Paul_B

Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
You are right Ice axes are better used in some circumstances. However like everything you need to use them when right to use them and switch to something else or put them away when not right to use them. Similarly for bouldery terrain they are best put away as they can jam in cracks in the rock and cause more problems than they solve. As with any tool you need to use them right. And I know a few cases where they have cause quite nasty injuries such as fractured skull, ligament damage at the knee, broken noses and numerous stitches. Ever watch that programme about 99 strangest things to be taken out of somebody? Well trekking poles would have made the 100!

bigjackbrass

Nomad
Sep 1, 2003
Leeds
For years I didn't use them, preferring to rely on my umbrella (a walking stick type from Smith & Sons) or a single Leki Wanderfreund stick with the triangular handle, but I finally took the plunge and bought a pair of poles to use on the TGO Challenge across Scotland last year. Partly this was as an aid on potentially difficult terrain, partly in order to guarantee having tarp supports to hand. Encroaching middle age and the accompanying creaky joints didn't play any part in my decision, obviously ;)

Since I knew I'd be carrying them in the pack quite a lot I chose the very light Trail Blaze poles from Mountain King. Unusually, these are fixed length and break down in sections joined by a cord, like tent poles. And thus was I converted. They're superb, far stronger than they look and perfect for my needs, but I'd caution anyone considering them to be absolutely sure that something so light is the best choice for you. And they're not cheap.

Towards the end of the walk I had the chance to try out some Pacerpoles. If you don't mind the weight then they're possibly the finest option I've seen. Incredibly comfortable grip promoting a very natural, effortless action. I was impressed, but one set of poles was pricey enough for me :D

armie

Life Member
Jul 10, 2009
The Netherlands
I made a comment to a lady who teaches Pilates, about the large number of German tourists I had seen who stride around with two walking poles, even on flat ground. I can't recall her full answer but it seems the beneficial gain in cardio-vascular exercise using two poles, even on flat ground is not inconsiderable, and she highly recommended it. That's apart from the other benefits of using the poles when in rough country.

It's called "Nordic walking" over here, there are lots of people doing it and they're often regarded with distaste and contempt, for reasons unknown to me. It's like cross-country skiing without the skis. Anybody who has ever done cross-country skiing will tell you that it's a very good workout.

I myself use one pole, for balance (and I need it when walking with a 50 litre rucksack).

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE