Walking in the rain

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Bisamratte

Nomad
Jun 11, 2006
Karben
I went for a walk in the rain today, it was great..I only saw two people :11doh: , and they just looked at me funny because I had no umbrella :umbrella:

I walked up the local hill, it only takes about 30 mins to get up there, and when I set off it wasn't proper rain, but when I got to the top it started pouring it down. I hadn't taken any waterproofs with me so all I had was my M65 jacket. I was surprised with how well it did, the water only started coming through on the shoulders after two hours and despite being damp it still kept me warm. Not bad but I think I may have to invest in a poncho or an :umbrella:

It always amazes me in at this time of year, the colours in the trees are fantastic and even though it was dark and grey, the leaf litter on the ground sort of makes everything seem brighter and happier. :)

Anyway the main purpose for my walk was the hunting of the elusive sweet chestnut tree. Unfortunatly I didn't find one (looks like a trip to the supermarket for my chestnuts then). After a couple of hours wandering around looking at trees I decided to crack open the thermos flask and have a sit down, but I hadn't left the fruit tea bag in the flask long enough, so all I had was hot water with a funny taste :yuck: . I don't normally drink fruit tea but it was the only one I had :eek:

Then I decided to go looking for some suitable wood for carving, I decided on beech because there is more of it and I had found a nice fallen branch. So I got my cheap folding saw out and set upon the log with all my might. :thinkerg:
Half an hour later I decided that I definately need a better saw :eek: .

It was getting dark, it was still raining and my (not so waterproof) shoes were cold and wet so I decided to go home.

I would have stayed up there even longer if my feet had been dry, but it was nice to get home, have a nice cup of coffee and think about what my piece of hard earned wood will become :rolleyes:

I just thought I would share that with you

thanks for reading

Andy

Spacemonkey

Native
May 8, 2005
Llamaville.
www.jasperfforde.com
Walking in the rain is sometimes the best time in busy areas. I'm trying to walk 10 miles of the Ridgeway every few nights at the mo' in under 2 hours each time. I'm at 2 hours 15 now. When it's raining is best as there is nobody else around and I feel, well, more connected to the land if that makes sense?

Mr_Rimps

Forager
Aug 13, 2006
Hampshire
Thanks for sharing. Sometimes walking in the rain is the best time to go for a wander.......you have the hills and woods to yourself and I agree with Spacemonkey, when you're on your own you " feel.. more connected to the land" ....

Anyway, theres no such thing as bad weather...just inapproproate clothing :) ..but dont tell the townies that :D

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
janiepopps said:
Some people walk in the rain, others just get wet................

j
Hi Janie et al,
A modicum of agreement but being Welsh I feel I have to put some forum members right on a few points. Everybody know that it always rains in Wales (not entirely sure why our well ran dry last month, perhaps we have very thirsty worms!) The Welsh are a race similar to the Innuit - they have hundreds of words for different types of snow, the Welsh have dozens of words for the different types of rain!
They range from the "dry stuff" that you can happily work outdoors in and not get wet at all. Through to the "Lazy rain" that can't be bothered to flow around the outside of your waterproofs and penetrates to the core within seconds of stepping outdoors.
We have rain that falls in every direction including upwards with droplet sizes from microscopic to cricket ball sized. I've seen sheep with their fleeces so wet that they can't stand up - watching them try to shake themselves while laying down is quite funny.
...and before anyone cracks the joke.... don't knock it until you're tried it ;)

ATB

Ogri the trog

TallMikeM

Need to contact Admin...
Dec 30, 2005
Hatherleigh, Devon
Ogri the trog said:
Hi Janie et al,
A modicum of agreement but being Welsh I feel I have to put some forum members right on a few points. Everybody know that it always rains in Wales (not entirely sure why our well ran dry last month, perhaps we have very thirsty worms!) The Welsh are a race similar to the Innuit - they have hundreds of words for different types of snow, the Welsh have dozens of words for the different types of rain!
They range from the "dry stuff" that you can happily work outdoors in and not get wet at all. Through to the "Lazy rain" that can't be bothered to flow around the outside of your waterproofs and penetrates to the core within seconds of stepping outdoors.
We have rain that falls in every direction including upwards with droplet sizes from microscopic to cricket ball sized. I've seen sheep with their fleeces so wet that they can't stand up - watching them try to shake themselves while laying down is quite funny.
...and before anyone cracks the joke.... don't knock it until you're tried it ;)

ATB

Ogri the trog

from my army days I can attest to both the quality and variety of Welsh rain. I suspect there is nothing quite like it anywhere in the world, possible not even Ireland.

I absolutely love walking in the rain :D

I went out late last night and it was tipping down. As we live at the bottom of a hill the roads were like rivers and there was nobody about – it was wonderful.

Well it was nearly wonderful – my better half had my Gore-Tex over-trousers in the boot of her car and that was 200 miles away :rolleyes:

Phil.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE