Walk in the wood.

Grooveski

Native
Aug 9, 2005
Glasgow
Was up Loch Lomond for a couple of days at the weekend. Took a wander around Inchlonaig in passing.

The whole loch had a skin of algae which was building up in the windward bays.

LL_OCT_01.jpg

The little pile of mushrooms that appear anytime Scott hits land.

LL_OCT_02.jpg

Some bracket that had set up home.

LL_OCT_03.jpg

A guy's gotta have a hobby. Wee bampots are popping up everywhere.

LL_OCT_04.jpg

Ahhh!

LL_OCT_05.jpg

Brush away the leaves and that's basically a flat slab. I'll give it points for trying. :)

LL_OCT_06.jpg

The beginnings of the hollowing out process.

LL_OCT_07.jpg

Big puffball that had already spored.

LL_OCT_08.jpg

Kept coming across wee lumps of what looked like tuff, a strange sight round these parts. That's the stuff folk used to polish axes from.

LL_OCT_09.jpg

A rowan growing out the base of a yew. Don't know if it's been strangled, poisoned or outdrunk but it's days are numbered - may well be it's last seed.
It's dropping limbs and has a terminal looking drying out thing happening. Bark is peeling and underneath it looks like seasoned timber already.

LL_OCT_10.jpg

Lots of scrapings large and small. Only spied a single fallow doe but could hear grunts and coughs from afar.

LL_OCT_11.jpg

My first solo mushroom hunt resulting in a "Yeah, you'd still be alive" verdict. I gather for Scott quite often but this time I was passing on more than usual and only going for boletus.

From the left there's bay bolete, cracked bolete and some wee dudes called Slippery Jacks. Not that I knew any of that at the time. Think I'm learning though, slowly.

LL_OCT_14.jpg

:)
Josh

Grooveski

Native
Aug 9, 2005
Glasgow
Found a patch of blaeberries that the deer hadn't scoffed too. Had to hang off a tree and swing round onto a wee crag but it was worth it. Made a nice change from yew berries.

Mmmm, purple tounge.
:)

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
:D
Oh those are worth clambering for :approve:

Thon Rowan looks like mine did before it croaked it. Funnily enough it's sent up new suckers from the root stock, still not looking very healthy though :sigh:
Mine's trapped next to a beech hedge so that's causing it a lot of stress.

Could have done with Scott up at Wiston last week, loads of fungi out :cool:
Wish I knew more.

cheers.
M

Gailainne

Life Member
Looks like you had an excellent weekend, sorry I missed it :( , ah well Tenerife tomorrow, I guess I'll just have make do with that :D, I actually think I would have preferred Loch Lomond, don't know if that's sad or not :rolleyes:... Nope :cool:

I am hoping my new canoe will be in by the time I get back, fingers crossed

Cheers

Stephen

The Cumbrian

Nov 10, 2007
The Rainy Side of the Lakes.
I could have done with you over here on Saturday Josh. The woods were full of fungus, but all I recognised were the chanterelles.
When I got back to my digs and showed one of the Czech guys a pic of the chanterelles that I'd picked ( by this time they were long gone, served on a piece of bread fried in the same oil as the shrooms ), he got very excited and started quizzing me about where I'd found them and were there any different types. All I could tell him was that yes there were lots of mushrooms, but I couldn't id them. I'll have to go on a course or something next year.

Cheers, Michael.

The Cumbrian

Nov 10, 2007
The Rainy Side of the Lakes.
I am hoping my new canoe will be in by the time I get back, fingers crossed

Cheers

Stephen[/QUOTE]

What are you getting? I do like pics of people going out in new canoes for the first time, the smiles of joy when first out on the water, and the grimaces when it gets it's first scratch.

Cheers, Michael.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Looks like fun Josh

Hopefully taking swmbo over to see the wallabies next Monday or Tuesday :D

What are you getting? I do like pics of people going out in new canoes for the first time, the smiles of joy when first out on the water, and the grimaces when it gets it's first scratch.

Cheers, Michael.

They'll be plenty of photos no doubt, hopefully maybe even a swim too eh Stephen :p

Grooveski

Native
Aug 9, 2005
Glasgow
If you want to borrow the other pack give me a shout, I stay just a quarter mile off the motorway on the road that your GPS took you along yon time. You're welcome to take it away for the week.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
If you want to borrow the other pack give me a shout, I stay just a quarter mile off the motorway on the road that your GPS took you along yon time. You're welcome to take it away for the week.

Thanks for the offer Josh, I might just give you a bell about that.

We've no plans as yet so it'll just be a case of getting up and if the weather's okay going for it. I got a number for the guys at Balmaha who do hire so we'll probably go down that route tbh.
We're going to be stopping in Strathyre and doing plenty of walking and exploring, pub meals and plenty of beers on an evening.

morch

Native
May 19, 2005
Darlington
Loks like another crackin weekend mate.

Nathan and me will get out with you and Scott one of these days, if i can only get over my totally irational fear of canoes and open water :eek:

Trust you're both well ;)

Dave

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE