walesby forest meet, newark

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

leaf man

Nomad
Feb 2, 2010
Blacker Hill
hi all

Walesby forest is near Newark, Notts, just a hop over the county border from yorkshire. I know I was trying for a yorkshire location but struck out on nearly all locations. This site however has a dedicated bush camp area which is at the top end of the site well away from the main areas.

www.walesbyforest.org.uk is the link to view the campsites web page.

The fee is 5.50 per person per night. There has to be a minimum booking of 5 people up front to reserve the site. What I would like to arrange is that those who are definatley coming, call the camp site in advance and pay over the phone, you can quote my name as a reference for the booking. Once five people have done this, the rest may pay on arrival, please contact me to let me know if you have prebooked as I can then advise the others who want to pay on arrival.

For those wanting to visit in the day only, I will find the info out and if there is a fee. You can also check the camp sites for any activites whch may be running on that day.

The proposed date is friday 30th march, through to sunday 1st april.

We may turn up from 2pm and must be off site before 4pm on the sunday.
  • fires are allowed but must be off the ground, wood on the ground may be burnt, no felling though please.
  • this is a family and scout based site, nuff said.
  • no projectile devises are to be brought on site, unless prior arrangement is made to use their ranges.
  • responsible consumption of booze please.
  • you are responsible for your own food and equipment and for those you bring along.
  • if in doubt, please ask.
By adding your name to the list you agree to all the above. please also add with your name whether you will pay in advance. Thanks all

Leaf man +1. paying in advance

leaf man

Nomad
Feb 2, 2010
Blacker Hill
ok then. from the initial interest thread i posted theres a resounding lack of interest now.

would someone like to give feedback? is it to far or is the date no good?

lm

SimonD

Settler
Oct 4, 2010
Lincolnshire
hey bud. i've only just seen this thread. i'm in lincs so this would be a nice local meet for me. if there is sufficient interest i would be up for it

Oct 5, 2009
Sheffield
I'm still interested but currently trying to make the dates fit around work.

With regards to the drop-off in interest there could be a couple of factors at play:
First off, it's possible people simply haven't seen the new thread. It happens
Distance may also be an issue for some. Newark's only about 30 miles from here but I wonder if it's not quite the 'just off the M1' people were hoping for?
The other factor that comes to mind it the image portrayed by their website. I see a highly organised camp site with hordes of children. I'll be the first to admit it wouldn't be my first choice for a quiet weekend away.

As an event organiser myself I've seen all too often how interest can evaporate if conditions aren't just right. It can be disheartening at times but that unfortunately is the nature of people.

leaf man

Nomad
Feb 2, 2010
Blacker Hill
hi dan good to hear from you, i know what you mean with the distance from the m1 and the type of camp it is. for a quick meet up io think it would be ok. my missus and i have camped at the riverside part of the camp and we were left well alone for the 2 days we were there.

i know the payment option might also be off putting, but im not quite prepared to commit and pay a deposit for folk to not come. simples

i am waiting for a yes or no on regards to a totally wild site 2 miles off the m1 at barnsley and will be able to post it up within the next week or so. thanks for your help and that sleeping bag i got from you has been a god send and has saved me a few times

jamin

Forager
Nov 27, 2006
lincoln
www.piczo.com
hi guys i do alot of work/ voulentere work at walesby, also take my scouts there. its a super place. there shouldnt be many people there that weekend as the scouts dont normaly start coming till end of april ish. there is loads of wood for burning. loads of hammock trees. spot on place.

shaggystu

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 10, 2003
Derbyshire
completely missed this thread until now. i dont know yet if id be abe to make it aong for that weekend, so won't be paying a deposit or adding my name to a list just yet, but i'm deifantely interested in attending at some point if these meets become a regular thing.

as for the lack of interest, that could be down to all sorts of things. it could be that people haven't spotted this thread, it could be that no-one wants to be the first to get their name down, it could be that everyones busy celebrating "edible book day" that weekend (seriously, april first is "edible book day", the world's gone mad), it could simply be that we have so many meets in the midlands (if you scroll down to the bottom of the main forum page on any given day to look at the up-coming events you'll see what i mean), and it could also be the complication in paying the deposit. i understand that you don't want to pay a deposit yourself in case you end up out of pocket but everyone else is gonna think the same way aren't they? i think it's probably more common for meet organisers to have paid up front for the sites than not, i used to give a £50 deposit to spitewinter which i would've lost had there been any damage/complaints etc. and that's a tiny amount compared to what some pay, one of the sites that we use in the midlands costs £500 per year up-front which the meet organiser stands himself, quite a gamble. i'm not criticising your decision to not pay the booking/reserve fee up front, that's entirely up to you, i just think that it could be quite a big factor in why people aren't showing much interest.

the best of luck with this endevour, i hope it works out for you, i shall look out for updates/future meets and hopefuly make it along to one soon

cheers

stuart

PREPER

Settler
Dec 31, 2009
Notts
I'm not too far and would also be interested if I can get the weekend off.
Only just found out about the thread today, otherwise I would have had my name down straight away :)

Thanks,

PREPER.............. :)

leaf man

Nomad
Feb 2, 2010
Blacker Hill
sorry to those that were interested, this is now not going to be on, mainly due to lack of interest.

keep an eye out for others that im trying to get sorted near to the m1

thanks, mike

Oct 5, 2009
Sheffield
That'll teach me to get my act together sooner, spent this morning juggling my on-call rota so I could attend. I guess the difference between go/no-go is more than one? Regardless, thanks for organising this.

Regarding future events, would you mind dropping a PM of the sites you've tried locally? I have a couple that may be open to us but don't want to pursue it if you've already tried them

TurboGirl

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 8, 2011
Leicestershire
www.king4wd.co.uk
If you have a meet date, try sticking it in a new thread title as folk might find it/ check they're free and sign on up! I missed this too, Newarks good for me as a Leicestershire lass :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE