[Wales, Job vacancy] "Exploring our woodland" interpreter

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Jodie

Native
Aug 25, 2006
London
www.google.co.uk

Exploring Our Woodland Interpreter, St Fagans: National Museum History

Contract: 4 days a week - Fixed Term Contract 18 Months
Salary: £17,773-20,688 (pro rata)
Closing date: 1 March 2007
http://www.museumwales.ac.uk/en/jobs/?job_id=312

From the job description PDF:

This exciting project is funded by Cardiff County Council through the Landfill
Communities Fund and Legal & General, as a means of interpreting the rich
and varied biodiversity of the woodland areas of St Fagans: National History
Museum. The aim of the project is to make these areas more accessible to
visitors. In doing this we hope to encourage an appreciation of these areas,
and give visitors the confidence and skills to explore their own local environment.

Targets for the project include:
• installing a series of nesting boxes with cameras to record nesting activity;
• creating a woodland path, to increase physical and sensory access to the
woods;
• creating a number of information and interpretation panels to interpret the
woodland along the path and throughout the site;
• provide a programme of learning opportunities for visitors, both to St Fagans
and to the website.

Throughout the project we will be advocating the use of sustainable materials
where possible.

For more information and an application form, call our answerphone line on
029 20 573348 or alternatively visit our website at www.museumwales.ac.uk
[or use the link at the top, Jo]

Wenie

Forager
Aug 4, 2005
S. Wales valleys
I work at St Fagans, so if any of you lot get this job I'll see you around! :D It's a great place to work - you get to play around in places like this:
47tr1c2.jpg

Ed

Admin
Admin
Aug 27, 2003
South Wales Valleys
I've already applied for this :D .... though I've been told I dont stand a snowballs chance in hell of getting it due to my poor welsh language skills ... but hey.... I'm still going to try.

Good luck to anyone else trying for the post.... its a great place to work.

:)
Ed

Aug 4, 2005
Sunny South Wales.
Ed said:
poor welsh language skills
:)
Ed

The person specification :deal: states that Welsh learners will be considered, so lack of language skills shouldn't be an insurmountable barrier. Especially as they want someone with a relevant degree which rules out lots of potential applicants...including me.. :(

Jodie

Native
Aug 25, 2006
London
www.google.co.uk
Ignore (within reason) the person specification and ensure that you make
clear in any covering letter why you are the right person for the job.

A degree just means you're literate but you may have demonstrated this in
other ways!

I view "person specifications" as opening bids or mere wish lists :D

Ed

Admin
Admin
Aug 27, 2003
South Wales Valleys
The person specification states that Welsh learners will be considered, so lack of language skills shouldn't be an insurmountable barrier.
Yep... thats what it says on the forum ..... but when i contacted them on the phone they seemed to have forgotten what was written on the form :( They said they needed someone who could converse in welsh with various schools / organisations as alot of the work they have planned is in a welsh medium (including teaching children in welsh)..... Thats a pretty high standard for a learner if you ask me.

Ed

Ed

Admin
Admin
Aug 27, 2003
South Wales Valleys
A degree just means you're literate but you may have demonstrated this in
other ways!
Yes they are happy with anyone who is educated to NVQ level 4 as long as its environmentaly based, or have a proven track record working in this field (though still educated to level 4 preferably)....

Ed

Aug 4, 2005
Sunny South Wales.
Ed said:
Yep... thats what it says on the forum ..... but when i contacted them on the phone they seemed to have forgotten what was written on the form :( They said they needed someone who could converse in welsh with various schools / organisations as alot of the work they have planned is in a welsh medium (including teaching children in welsh)..... Thats a pretty high standard for a learner if you ask me.

Ed

Blimey, that is a high standard. Tell you what, you can silently demonstrate, I'll give a running commentary in Welsh, and we'll go halves on the wages... :D

Ed

Admin
Admin
Aug 27, 2003
South Wales Valleys
Blimey, that is a high standard. Tell you what, you can silently demonstrate, I'll give a running commentary in Welsh, and we'll go halves on the wages...
Teaching bushcraft via mime... :27: ... never thought of that.

Ed

Brocktor

Banned
Jul 25, 2006
uk
i cannot find their forum. someone mentioned they have spoken about this vacancy on the forum, could someone link me to that website address? even better to the correst topic there

scanker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 15, 2005
Cardiff, South Wales
Brocktor said:
i cannot find their forum. someone mentioned they have spoken about this vacancy on the forum, could someone link me to that website address? even better to the correst topic there
I think it might be a typo and Ed meant form instead of forum, but he'd have to confirm that. Or I might be completely wrong. It does occasionally happen. :lmao:

Ed said:
Yep... thats what it says on the forum ..... but when i contacted them on the phone they seemed to have forgotten what was written on the form :( ...snip

Reactions: Ed

Ed

Admin
Admin
Aug 27, 2003
South Wales Valleys
ooops .... yes it was a typo, it should have said form....... what makes it worse is after Broktors post I spent half an hour looking for the forum he mentioned not realising he was talking about my post..... boy do I feel dumb..... :banghead:

Sorry for the confusion :confused:

Ed

scanker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 15, 2005
Cardiff, South Wales
:lmao: I'll add my laughter too.

Good luck with the job Ed, sounds like it would suit you a lot. We visit St Fagan's a fair bit, always good for a wander around.

@Wenie - We're some of the people that visit a particular building for the "bocs celcio". :D

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE