Wales at end of OCTOBER!

maadmaan10

Sep 15, 2011
Aldershot
Going green laning with a few friends in 4x4's last few days of October. Will be camping, which I haven't done for years!
Any advice peeps?

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
If your green laning in South Wales please keep away from Aberdare and Merthyr, we've had a lot of damage to local tracks and moor land from boys in their 4X4's so there ain't no welcome in the hillside. Try North Wales.

hoppinmad

Forager
Dec 7, 2009
Swansea Valley
I thought Sarn Helen was a sort of uber Greenlane in the Brecon Beacons....????
No! The National park authority will actively report and prosecute 4by4 drivers who go onto open ground including parts of the roman road Sarn Helen. The ammount of damage these inconsiderate individuals have done to parts of Sarn Helen, and to the earthworks of the roman fort at Y Pigwn, make them no longer welcome in the national park. A lot of local land owners are also up in arms about the disruption to organised shoots by 4by4 drivers going over private land when there are clear signs to the contrary!

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Times change...I can remember cutting up there in a lightweight rover back in the day....

Thankfully times have changed John. If boys want to play with their toys do it on land set aside for the purpose, there must be some? John, we've had a lot of local damage done because of these idiots. If this were not a 'family forum' I'd really let rip with how I feel about these people.

EdS

... there are Unsurface County Roads in both in North and South Wales. If you are going to go do some research stay legal and don't be a muppet.

Some lanes have had damage form traffic although the research also shows many roads benifit. NOte the word road. However, most of damage is done by illegal driving not on UCRs. This always was illegal and the change in legislation is donig nothing to combat this - and in some cases make it worse, thanls to a small group of selfish idiots.

Mind you look at the damage done to rights of ways by foot traffic.

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
Not a green lane, but try the road from Talgarth to Newbridge on Wye. Spectacular scenery in some of the remotest bits of Wales, and the road is an interesting drive on its own. The Devils staircase is a really steep gradient for a metalled road.

I've no objection to people using 4x4s legally. Its the illegal ones that get people lynched.

Twodogs

Nov 16, 2008
West Midland
www.facebook.com
As you say Johnboy times change, :)

gulp.jpg

But it must be said Rik there are loads of Welsh off roaders still trashing the lanes so dont just blame the English ....

Dougster

Oct 13, 2005
The banks of the Deveron.
My parents live by a very popular green lane area and nobody objects tot he 4X4s. It's the bikes that do it with the back wheel churning everything and the noise ruining everyones day for miles.

It's harsh to blame a whole group of enthusiasts for the mindless acts of a few.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
My parents live by a very popular green lane area and nobody objects tot he 4X4s. It's the bikes that do it with the back wheel churning everything and the noise ruining everyones day for miles.

It's harsh to blame a whole group of enthusiasts for the mindless acts of a few.

Great news then Dougster, give the OP the address and tell your mom to put the kettle on for the little angles.

Cliff, not just blaming the English (remember I was born and bred in brum) but all countries have selfish tw*ts and we don't want them near us.

Go find a dedicated off road site to trash and leave the countryside alone.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE