W Gilpin axe

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

toilet digger

Native
Jan 26, 2011
burradon northumberland
help please, anybody know how old, what style or purpose this W Gilpin (stamped on RHS)
IMG-20120916-01068.jpg
[/IMG]picked this W Gilpin axe up a couple of months ago. my googlefu doesn't seem to be working and hence i know nothing about it.
any info would be gratefully recieved.

IMG-20120916-01065.jpg
[/IMG]
IMG-20120916-01066-2.jpg
[/IMG]
IMG-20120916-01067.jpg
[/IMG]
IMG-20120916-01069.jpg
[/IMG]
IMG-20120916-01070.jpg
[/IMG]

Last edited:

toilet digger

Native
Jan 26, 2011
burradon northumberland
It's very similar to modern carpenters axe patterns. Have a look at the following website if you get a moment. There's usually similar axes for sale;

http://www.timelesstools.co.uk/axes.htm

had a look yesterday and couldn't find anything close.

I'm not sure, but it looks like an old slaters axe for roofing. I don't think the handle is original.

think it maybe is as its ash. i didn't want to put a new handle on so i cut just below the collar then reshaped and inserted the now shorter handle. chopped a splintered section off the end. then steeped in veg oil to put a bit of spring back into what was very dry wood.
the hammer side was quite badly mushroomed so these got ground off. the whole axe weighs 3lb with a very substantial hammer section, so its been used but in what capacity!
it is reminiscent of the long handled saxon war axes , that were used for bringing down cavalry.

toilet digger

Native
Jan 26, 2011
burradon northumberland
If you put a mirror up to it then it would make a fair kent pattern felling axe - any chance it's been modified in it's history do you reckon?

naah looks virginal. i do know it was hanging in the wood machine workshop of the last place i worked at, up here in northumberland for the last 25 years. judging by the gilpin stamp which lacks finnese, i'd say its twice that age at least.

shaggystu

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 10, 2003
Derbyshire
.....BUT it weighs a ton and looks to predate plasterboard!

lathes pre-date plasterboard by a long way, in fact, once you've got plasterboard then lathes become pretty much useless. i've seen this style of axe lots of times before and they're generally described as "lathing hatchets" or something similar, i've always been curious about them because i doubt very much that it's a tool that i'd even consider using for doing lath and plaster work, but then i've never done any lath and plaster work, i'm a tad too young for that kind of thing. i don't suppose anyone on here has ever done any lath and plaster have they? it's been pretty much obsolete since the introduction of plasterboard in the 30's/40's, but i guess someone might have worked on some kind of renovation or similar :dunno:

cheers

stuart

toilet digger

Native
Jan 26, 2011
burradon northumberland
lathes pre-date plasterboard by a long way, in fact, once you've got plasterboard then lathes become pretty much useless. i've seen this style of axe lots of times before and they're generally described as "lathing hatchets" or something similar, i've always been curious about them because i doubt very much that it's a tool that i'd even consider using for doing lath and plaster work, but then i've never done any lath and plaster work, i'm a tad too young for that kind of thing. i don't suppose anyone on here has ever done any lath and plaster have they? it's been pretty much obsolete since the introduction of plasterboard in the 30's/40's, but i guess someone might have worked on some kind of renovation or similar :dunno:

cheers

stuart

yeah was looking at laths and all that earlier. still its very useable, so i'm gonna try it out on my next hedgelaying comp :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE