Wæshael

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Ok, I can't see how to edit an earlier post that has since been posted after, so apologies for the dud photo, heres trying again with a smaller one
ravenhorn.jpg

stonyman

Need to contact Admin...
Apr 8, 2004
Gloucester
Nice horn Red, enjoy what ever you drink from it be it Adams Ale or Mead, on a slightly different note, how easy is it to make a drinking horn like that.

Enjoy and remember it's better to sup than to quaff.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Thats lovely work Gareth did there Sally! Very very nice. One would need a good axe to throw after that ;)

Stonyman - can't tell you but horns are naturally hollow ish. Eric did mine for me so he's better off answering you

Red

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I made a "powder horn" from a tourist Cr*p souvineer of Switzerland "musical horn" found in a charity shop.
I am now looking for another to make a drinking horn from....any one been to Basle recently?

stovie

Need to contact Admin...
Oct 12, 2005
Balcombes Copse
I know I'm a killjoy, so shoot me now, but Wæshael of course is taken with a wooden bowl, and passed from friend to friend (okay, I'll shut up Red). But to make it up, I'll happily supply some cider from the first pressing this weekend. And pills or no pills, it'll be safe to drink; trust me, I'm a medic :D

Beautiful work Eric, and lucky man Red...this is such a generous forum...

Stovie (all excited about the coming weekend)

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
I was thinking rather of the literal (Be Well) salutation to Eric rather than in the the context of Wæshaeling (my Old English is a little limited sadly)

swá þéana þancung ac capitul

:p

Eric_Methven

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 20, 2005
Durham City, County Durham
I bought that batch of black buffalo horn ready cleaned and polished (which was why they were expensive). I've bookmarked the Highland website though. £3.00 for a horn, can't be bad. I'll get some of those and clean them up myself.

The outsides are relatively smooth and shiny straight from the beast. The inside core comes out after boiling the whole thing along with blood and gore. Then it's just a matter of trimming the drinking end, sanding it smooth and working on the inside with a small brass wire brush and hot soapy water to get all the crud off the insides. Then it's a brillo pad wire tied on a stick and shoved in and out to scour the inner wall nice and smooth. Frequent rinses with cold water and you end up with a nice drinking vessel. Once the inside is done, the outside gets polished properly with some polishing paste rubbed onto an old piece of buckskin and the horn is just rubbed with the buckskin until it glistens. It's hard to explain the method, but if I say you place the buckskin across your right palm, wrap your hand round the horn and massage vigorously up and down, I think you'll know what I mean. Just don't let the missus see you doing it with your back to her or she'll think you're doing something else (don't ask me how I know).

Eric

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
I think theres a gap in your product range though Eric........

Don't they need a nice wooden stand for the dinner table and to sit on the desk? Not traditional but very handy!

Red

Eric_Methven

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 20, 2005
Durham City, County Durham
I think theres a gap in your product range though Eric........

Don't they need a nice wooden stand for the dinner table and to sit on the desk? Not traditional but very handy!

Red

You're right Red. I think I'll start marketing a 2" auger bit so horn owners can simply drill a nice hole through the table for their horn to rest in. Brilliant - problem solved!

Eric

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
cheap enough here john:

http://www.highlandhorn.com/COW-HORN/4.htm

and th company is realy good to deal with!

Ah yes but -
I am half Scottish, could pass for Jewish and have lived half my life by Cardigan way (a Cardi is the only person able to buy from a Jew, sell to a Scot and make a good profit) - £3.00 for a horn?!
Charity shop horns cost me 50p and are ready polished!
Saves me the price of a round of drinks......
Alternatively, will they trade for a set of my pouches?:rolleyes:

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
:D

Also means "lesson"

Thanks for the lesson though - at least I think it does :eek:

oooh arguments in Saxon..ow cultured is us?

I hope there is going to be pictures of the siege engine in action?

Red

fishfish

Jul 29, 2007
wiltshire
Told you i was inspired,started mine today,using a horn from a mates dexter bull,this realy is fun! any ideas on traditional stands for them or werent there any?

stovie

Need to contact Admin...
Oct 12, 2005
Balcombes Copse
:D

Also means "lesson"

Thanks for the lesson though - at least I think it does :eek:

oooh arguments in Saxon..ow cultured is us?

I hope there is going to be pictures of the siege engine in action?

Red

For "lesson" read "sermon", or at least thats what I did...My OE is far worse than yours.

Wellsy has been finishing the "beast" off this week (unfortunately I have been working) but I will definitely be posting images of her in full flow. We've just aquired another 55 gallon barrel, so chances are we'll be doing a second pressing in about a months time :D

Watch this space...

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE