Vulcan or Sabre

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Mikkel

Tenderfoot
Aug 11, 2007
Denmark
Total height says nothing about what size pack you need. You can have a long back if you are short, and a short back when long. best way is of course to try the pack in person, but you can also measure your back and use that as a waypoint.

crazyclimber

Need to contact Admin...
Jul 20, 2007
UK / Qatar
i too was torn between the sabre and the vulcan:dunno: but now i think it has to be the vulcan all the way!! i shall be ordering first thing monday. where is the cheapest place to order from? secondly i'm 5ft 10, possibly 5ft 11. which size should i go for?

Thanks as always! :D

Dan

Just an suggestion but have you also looked at the Atlas, also made by Berghaus. They're officially discontinued now but you can still pick them up... I'm not quite sure why they decided to discontinue the line mind because from what I understand they designed it based on the Vulcan but ironing out some of the niggles people were reporting with them.
http://www.norwich-camping.co.uk/product_details/Berghaus_Atlas/3773.html is where I got mine from anyway. First class service, and £100

Dan1982

Jan 14, 2006
Cumbria
thanks for that cc! what are the main differences between that and the vulcan then? are they the same material? does the atlas come in different sizes aswell?

.......so many questions!:D

U

unamodo

Hi Dan,

I got mine from Penrith Survival for £140. Size, as stated before tends not to go on height but back length. From Berghaus spec I would say you would be a 3 but best to measure and enquire direct to them.

From looking at the pictures of the Vulcan and Atlas side by side I still tend to be drawn to the Vulcan.
They both utilise the Cyclops back system but I prefer the way the zips on the Vulcan (Both at the bottom of main compartment and top of each side pouch) go around horozontally not on an angle as the Atlas ones do.
Also it looks like the Atlas doesn't have any cover/flaps over the zips so perhaps this could make them less waterproof.
They both are made from the same material and are the same weight. As crazy climber has stated before, they seem to be based on the same design.

The only advice I can give, having not seen an Atlas is to just let you know how happy I am with my Vulcan. I tried a Sabre 75 on before purchasing the Vulcan and there was no competition. However if the only difference is what I mentioned above with the zip covers/angles, is this worth the extra £40???

crazyclimber

Need to contact Admin...
Jul 20, 2007
UK / Qatar
lol I know the feeling when looking at potential buys!
Yeah they're both made from ardura 1000, both use the cyclops II back system and both come in 4 back sizes. The differences from what I remember: 1. a better bottom sleeping bag compartment, including a really nice large zip and compression straps to take the pressure off it (can trust it more), 2. a better top pocket integrated more into the top cover so it doesn't flop around so much when it's not full, 3. an inner pocket in the top lid.
I haven't used the Vulcan and I'm sure that it's good too...
http://www.berghaus.com/ProductDetails.aspx?ProductID=841&Gear=2 is the Vulcan on the Berghaus site if you want to compare the two

bikething

May 31, 2005
West Devon, Edge of Dartymoor!
Dan
If you don't mind second hand, Endicotts in Exeter have a load of used Vulcans in stock in various grades look here - from the photo it looks like the same material as my old crusader, not the shinier stuff my vulcan is made of :dunno:

might be worth a look / phonecall

No connection with the seller other than as a happy customer :)

Dan1982

Jan 14, 2006
Cumbria
cheers for that bikething! i dont mind second hand at all, i have sent them an email enquiring as to the varying conditions tho. but still £85 for one of their better ones is a bargain:D

Ahjno

Vice-Adminral
Admin
Aug 9, 2004
Rotterdam (NL)
www.bushcraftuk.com
Does anyone know if there are any counterfeited Vulcans (as in cheap Chinese copies) on the market? And if so, what their characteristics are? I saw one very cheap, in excellent condition (new) - but it felt a bit soft-ish. Not as 'hard' / new-ish feeling as I've experiences with a real brand new one ...

I've got a Sabre 65-100 and I'm happy with it, though I do have some thoughts about its backlength for a while now, as I'm 193cm ... Adjusted the backsystem as much as possible ... Maybe it's just not upto carry 20+ kg :rolleyes:

big_swede

Native
Sep 22, 2006
W Yorkshire
there is a 'brand' called mountain patrol that does vulcan copies. Terrible quality, mine was worn down during 9 day mountain hike. The quality isn't comparable. One of my most regretted buys ever.

Mikkel

Tenderfoot
Aug 11, 2007
Denmark
I have had the cheap Sturm/Mil-tec copy. Luckily I did't take it on a long trip before i realised what a bad pack it was. The backsystem was so wobbly that any load would travel back and forth on your back making any walking very much harder than it should be. Thin materials. Bad design. Soft hipbelt. Cheap, but not even worth the low price.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Cheers for the link Bikething, got a nice Select grade size 2 with side pockets and yoke for £85 coming to me this week

:You_Rock_

Rich

Dan
If you don't mind second hand, Endicotts in Exeter have a load of used Vulcans in stock in various grades look here - from the photo it looks like the same material as my old crusader, not the shinier stuff my vulcan is made of :dunno:

might be worth a look / phonecall

No connection with the seller other than as a happy customer :)

A

Alfa

I have the advantage being in the royal marine corps and we are outfitted with the vulcans.
I have to say we used to be. At the moment we have the lowe alpine serie but they are going to be replaced by the berghaus vulcan again. Because there are a lot of injuries with the new lowe alpine backpacks. So we will see these backpacks on "marktplaats" even more.

And yes it is, Gunny said it in heartbreak ridge.

I was thinking of buying a Saracen. Could you explain what injuries? Thanks

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE