VIRTUS packs etc and PLCE.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

lostplanet

Aug 18, 2005
Kent
Anyone got into Virtus gear? I have a question about the difference in zips compared with PLCE?

Seems like the two are no longer compatable, so whats the difference?

Thanks

Artic Bob

Feb 1, 2018
Marches
MOLLE is just a way of attaching one thing to another, saying 'oh, it just looks like MOLLE gear' is a bit like saying, 'oh, it just looks like quick release clip gear to me...'.

nonsensical.

personally i wouldn't use VIRTUS, the quality control has been a bit hit and miss (like the early stages of most things), and the 90l bergen doesn't have a hip/waist belt. think about that when you've stuffed it with a weeks worth of kitchen sink...

if you've got the shekels to buy a VIRTUS bergen, i'd reccommend trawlling fleabay for something in the Berghaus Cyclops range - the Vulcan is the popular favourite, but i prefer the Cyclops Roc and the (old style) Cyclops Crusader. both last forever, and both come in at well under 2kg - the Vulcan is well over 3kg...

the PLCE bergen has several good points - it is simply indestructable, its cheap as chips, there are a number of companies that will modify it for in almost any way you want, but its relatively heavy (about 3kg iirc) and some find it uncomfortable.

the old Cyclops Crusader was the template that the MOD used to produce the PLCE bergen - indeed Berghaus actually did the initial production runs, but the MOD subsequently went elsewhere for large scale production, almost certainly on cost grounds.

Reactions: tiger stacker

lostplanet

Aug 18, 2005
Kent
I dont need to buy virtus, I am interested in the differences with PLCE.

Ive got a Karrimor SF predator 80-130 that im over the moon with compatable with PLCE and MOLLE. Does everything I need, All season and super comfortable. dont care about weight or size.

Ive had a Vulcan 2 modified, didnt like it at all.

Got a few Issue bergans that are redundant now since the predator.

Got a early karrimor jaguar that still isnt half as good as the predator.

Back to the question:

Is the zip design completely different from PLCE? whats the difference? any pics available?

Corso

Aug 13, 2007
none
MOLLE is just a way of attaching one thing to another, saying 'oh, it just looks like MOLLE gear' is a bit like saying, 'oh, it just looks like quick release clip gear to me...'.

nonsensical.

How is it nonsensical when PLCE was pre the invention of Molle and never designed to be compatible.

I can't see how they would ever be compatible unless you wanted bad fiting gear attached with tape and zip-ties?

Now if he's asking about Osprey gear thats very different...

On second look I realise now this thread is about bergans rather than webbing systems, it not being in the 'carry' forum threw me off, I blame my head cold

I would ask a retailer - maybe kitmonster.co.uk - they are usually pretty clued up about such things and are a friendly bunch

Last edited:

lostplanet

Aug 18, 2005
Kent
The process starts by asking....

Yes kitmonster is who supplied my predator. I'm sure someone has a bit of kit that doesnt fit now.

Evolution to virtus from PLCE is probably similar to that of 58 to PLCE.

It just makes me wonder when Vislon YKK zips have been tried and tested, and AFAIK very good at the job, why would they switch to another design??

Seems to be plenty of after market PLCE (marauder, Jayjays, KM, troopers ) still around and im sure anyone who has spent good money on upgraded PLCE/MOLLE would welcome as much compatability as possible with anything free.

But then berghaus went and did MMPS, so i am lost baffled with the thinking behind that.

nevermind anyway, its only interest value why i ask.

Corso

Aug 13, 2007
none
Virtus gear is made by Source an Israeli company maybe they went with a local zip poducer and the MOD didn't notice :)

tiger stacker

Native
Dec 30, 2009
Glasgow
I take it your wish to attack plce rocket pouches onto a virtus bergen, however differing zips are preventing you from achieving your goal?

Apr 8, 2009
Ashdown Forest
The virtus side pocket zips are upside down compared to the PLCE zips...

To be honest, much of the Virtus gear has been generally poorly received. They are on their third version of the bergen already, as the first two versions are generally considered not to be fit for purpose, and the majority of soldiers (with the bergens at least) still use their trusty PLCE bergens. I think the day sacks are OK, and I like my 'rider' camelbak equivalent.

z_bumbi

Tenderfoot
Apr 22, 2016
Linköping, Sweden
But then berghaus went and did MMPS, so i am lost baffled with the thinking behind that.

nevermind anyway, its only interest value why i ask.

Berghaus had the zips with the start from the top to start with. Then mod went with an other suplier and the zips was reversed. So Berghaus have only gone back to zips that works better. As Berghaus doesn't works with mod any more but with other countries defenceforces I can understand that choice.

A modern vulcan or crusader is less then 3 kg, even if it is by a hair.

Falstaff

Feb 12, 2023
Berkshire
Just bought a pack side hydration pouch which is sold as being Virtus - Zips are YKK's Vislon. My understanding is that the up/down zips are the other way round to previous kit, to prevent it fitting theirs. I get the impression that Source tried hard to prevent competion by changing things a little, e.g. the un-even (7) number of vertical MOLLE lines on their packs. Hydration connectors etc (but there is a standard for this, most of the Osprey connectors fit).

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE