Violent fermentation is when.......

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
No sugar of any sort in there Jim - and its held at a nice steady 70f :)

Had that with a banana wine. That's some healthy yeast. What is it?

Its just unpasteurised apple juice from our orchard left to its own devices :) I very much suspect it has some natural hitchhikers though :cool:

I'm playing around (again) with making quality vinegar:) Or rather I will be when this lot has fermented

mick91

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
May 13, 2015
Sunderland
I cultured some naturals from a crab apple tree that grows near my house. Best cider yeast I've ever had. Never made vinegar though. Will be watching this one red!

Robson Valley

On a new journey
Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Not to worry. In the primary oxygenated fermentation, just simply covered is OK. The carbon dioxide keeps it all clean.
Secondary anaerobic has to be gas-tight.

I used to run 25 x 36lb cases of Zinfandel grapes through a motorized crusher into 2 x 45 gal primary fermenter tanks
which I stirred with a virgin canoe paddle. 450 liters later = mighty fine wine for $0.75/liter.
Corks by the 1k were $0.25 each, killers.

Russell96

Forager
Jul 19, 2005
Surrey
Awesome website! I have just been having a look around and you have some great articles. I will be linking it and looks like you are living the dream!

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Glad you liked it got loads more in the offing so look forward to seeing you there!

Last edited:

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Thank you :eek:

Working up posts on onion storage, green house heating with manure and other esoteric stuff right now.

I'm thinking of breaking the vinegar post into two parts, making cider ( because its topical now) and making vinegar from cider later (because its less time critical). Thoughts?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE