Vintage Jaeger wool sleeping bag

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Twodogs

Bushcrafter through and through
Nov 16, 2008
West Midland
www.facebook.com
I had a good fine today to add to my growing wool and canvas empire :)

A Jaeger wool sleeping bag ,

Theses were private purchase items for Rodneys other ranks were not allowed sleeping bags and had to use blankets .

These were also used on arctic expeditions long ago :D..

There is the mattress canvas outer with wood wadding as the fill ,

And the wool bag itself ,

double layer of wool on the base,

makers name

To me is a fascinating bit of kit if anyone know any info on them please let me know ,

The bag has had the woolite and conditioner treatment and seem in fine condition .

Twodogs

philipb

Forager
Feb 20, 2016
wales
wow very interesting. I wonder how effective they were at keeping you warm

Last edited:

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Great kit!
The Jaeger version looks better than the wool sleeping bag I made..... and mine is warm enough for summer use :)
DSCF5983 (2015_01_01 06_41_25 UTC).jpg
The silk liner avoids itchiness when wearing next to nowt....

philipb

Forager
Feb 20, 2016
wales
To be honest I think people sleep fully dressed on the whole and were used to been colder the we are today

soldiers never get used to being cold they just endure it whilst at the same time looking for anything to make life a little better

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Nice find :)

Tom Ready's the fellow for the hat pattern though. He's been looking for a specific style and has come across some remarkably good links :)

Somewhere I have a card of that woven edging. Sold to me as wool…but there's a mix in it I reckon so I didn't want to use it to edge cloaks and the like for children. No idea where it is though :eek:

M

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
I had no idea Jaeger did camping gear or had military contracts, I thought they were just a high street brand that sold awful suits. You Live and Learn.

Klenchblaize

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 25, 2005
Greensand Ridge
But clearly too good for the "Common Man" so I'm out, or should that Read I'm with Wat Tyler on this one. Pass me my marching boots!

K

Last edited:

The Cumbrian

Nov 10, 2007
The Rainy Side of the Lakes.
Great find Cliff.

The wool component of the sleeping bag is mentioned by R.M. Patterson in one of his books. He picked one up in London when he was there on business and took it back to Canada with him, where he used it and praised it. Depending on the temperature he used either one layer or two on the top, as he routinely slept on spruce bows for insulation from the ground.

Unfortunately I can't recall which of his books it's mentioned, but that's a good excuse for you to start reading then if you haven't already. I think it was in Finlay's River though:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Finlays-River-R-M-Patterson-ebook/dp/B00CDTXVXY

Cheers, Michael.

David Whithorn

Dec 23, 2018
Hampshire
A few years on I know, but more info for you...The original illustration of the Jaeger sleeping bag really was just that and this picture is found in the Army and Navy catalogues of 1907 and 1939 (they were astonishingly expensive). They were not used like this, but were fitted inside a heavy duty canvas Wolseley 'valise' (sleeping bag cover) to provide waterproofing/insulation (these were even more expensive). On the inside base was a thin wool blanket, this was not really for insulation but served to keep the sleeping kit in place. This 'kit' consisted of a mattress (you have one of several types) or filled palliasse, on top of which went the 'Jaeger' (as they were known). The valise had a separate holder for a pillow and other gear. They were indeed the preserve of the officers and when available the 'valise/jaeger' was placed on top of a camp bed. You might sleep under just one of the Jaeger blankets if in the tropics, otherwise it was two. There was a separate small blanket that could be folded in two lengthways and inserted into the top 'envelope'. This then gave four blankets on top of you, plus the canvas valise cover with one blanket, the mattress, wool mat, canvas cover and the canvas bed below you. The quality of the wool/wool+camelhair/camelhair was truly excellent and much smoother to the touch than you might imagine to sleep in. An officer's kit 1914-18 was limited to 35lb plus what he stood up in. The valise/jaeger (it rolls up, taking other kit within and is fastened by two heavy duty leather straps/handle) will take up just about all of this 35lb...The question you might wish to know the answer to, is 'what is it like to use? Answer - tremendous - I use one most nights in the house! I have ones from ca. 1900-1960. The earliest valise is made from brown heavy duty mail canvas with leather fastenings (built like a battleship, and as heavy), the latest from green canvas, functional and much more lightweight. It is hard for people today to realise that 'sleeping bags' as we know them are quite a 'modern' invention, no one really gave ordinary soldiers much thought about their sleeping arrangements till WW2 and after...

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE